Sewing swim/dancewear fabric

kathieloSeptember 27, 2011

I am making a unicorn costume for my granddaughter. The one I am copying looks like this type of fabric. I have it already cut out but I was trying to use my serger to finish the seams and it does not serge very easily. Are there any special tips I should know for sewing this type of fabric. It is very flowy and stretches both ways. I don't think the cut edges will unravel but I like to finish my garments on the inside.

I am using ball point needles. Whatelse should I know. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnar57

"this type of fabric" is left open to our imagination. Did you mean to leave us a link so we could see what you are trying to serge?

If you are using any sort of sequined fabric, you may find it helpful (for your needles' sake) to remove the sequins in the area of the seam.

Another rule is ... do not stretch or tug as the serger stitches. Otherwise, you will get a stretched out look.

It's been a long time since I sewed on that type of fabric (at least 12 years), and that's what I can remember. There is a great book out there, "Sewing with Knits" - - I think it's a Singer Sewing Library book.

Donna

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 11:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathielo

Thanks donna. The fabric is a two way stretch...no sequins I think it is called panne. It is very soft and when I tried to serge it, the stitches were very uneven and no flat at all. I gave up on serging it. It doesn't seem to ravel at all except for the elastic at the cut edge. When you remove the cut elastic it is fine.

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
oval cape
I recently saw a BEAUTIFUL cape made of oatmeal sherpa...
mommalin
Great show...fit2stitch
I just started watching fit 2 stitch with Peggy Sagers...
Annie Deighnaugh
The little Singer 15- made her way home today!
I went back to the Thrift Store and asked the clerk...
caroline94535
Sewing Plus Size Clothing
Does anybody here sew plus size clothing for re-sale?...
catsoup
Need drapery fabric problem advice
I had polyester draperies made and the workroom pressed...
sierrashopper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™