Genie Model 404 GDO - little help?

JoeNMDecember 17, 2005

Folks, I've got a screw-drive garage door opener of late '70s vintage that I'm hoping I can make right. Several days ago it began to labor upon raising the door. I put some grease along the length of the screw shaft and on the door rollers (usually do this once/year anyway). A day later, it quit lifting the door at all. Springs appear fine, and I can raise and lower the door w/o too much effort. I released the catch on the trolley but even with no load, I can observe with the cover off that when activated, the shaft will turn 1.25 turns before halting and reversing for 0.75 turns, and then stop. Took the cover off but did not see anything obvious. Realizing the GDO is quite old, I picked a a new one at Sears this week since they were on sale. But it's still in the box, and I'd like to fix the old Genie if possible. I don't have the manual, and I can't see any cogs or adjusters that I could mess with. Any leads on what I might try? I'd be grateful for any assistance. Thanks,

- Joe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob_brown

Hello,
Try tightening the clutch. Check the 2 limit switches at each end of the drive. It could be that you are past the switch, because the door is to high.

Bookmark   December 20, 2005 at 12:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoeNM

Thanks for the reply, Bob, but still no luck. I tried tightening the clutch spring 3 full turns, but it made no difference. I also loosened it completely to see what would happen. The clutch (but not the shaft) spins and then reverses for the same time duration as before. This unit just has the one limit switch along the screw drive shaft just a few inches away from the motor, but it is not activated, and the trolley is down at the other end. Anything else I might try?
- Joe

Bookmark   December 20, 2005 at 10:02PM
More Discussions
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
martin-ferdinand
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™