Triclosan beads?

tanner2135January 31, 2003

Ok, I know this is a little anal retentive, but did anyone ever get liquid soap from Bath and Bodyworks? It comes in a hand pump bottle and in alot of great scents.

It's got little Triclosan beads suspended throughout the soap that is supposed to be antibacterial, which I don't care about, but it makes the soap look kinda cool. The beads dissolve away and I was wondering if anyone knew where to get some, if it's proprietary and if there's an equivalent?

It's just fun and I thought I'd try to replicate it.

Thanks,

Andrea

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tanner2135

No idea, huh? Ah well, thought I'd try...must be a Bath and Bodyworks exclusive.

Andrea

Bookmark   February 4, 2003 at 11:48PM
Jill_NC

Andrea--I did a search for you yesterday, but didn't come up with anything either, and I know you're pretty net savvy - so I figured you did too.

J

Bookmark   February 5, 2003 at 11:44AM
nikki_nj

Hi, I'm not a soap or candle maker, but I lurk here sometimes, you are all so creative!
I saw your question and went on a mission to find an answer! I always have 3 or 4 bottles of that BBW soap on hand, and love the stuff :) I may be wrong, but from what I can find, the Triclosan isn't the beads, it's an antibacterial agent. The beads are either polymer beads or polyethylene beads. I checked the label on one of the bottles of BBW soap, and they list polyethylene as an ingredient.
Now, I can't find much on polyethylene or polymer beads other than they're used in soaps (duh), and there's special suspension bases that are used to keep the beads floating rather than sinking.
I did however find Jojoba spheresthat are also used as an exfolient. They also come in differnt colors and can be used in scrubs, soaps, gels, etc.
Hopefully this helps :)

Bookmark   February 6, 2003 at 12:08AM
pistil

Nikki!!!! How are you??!!!! Thanks for the heads up on the spheres - they sound very interesting - I'm going to have to try them!!! And yes, this helps alot! But I already know what a huge helper you are!!! ;o)
Susan

Bookmark   February 6, 2003 at 12:16AM
tanner2135

OMG! Nikki, YOU ROCK! That's *exactly* what I was looking for! I don't know why I thought those beads were made of triclosan...I think I read the label, saw the pellets through the clear bottle and just free associated the rest. Duh! and in my searches, I *knew* they were antibacterial, I just thought they were antibacterial spheres. Talk about one track mind!

This is so excellent...THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! =)
Andrea

ps. Did I say thank you? Totally made my day...THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

Bookmark   February 6, 2003 at 1:06AM
tanner2135

And thanks for looking, Jill! I am net savvy but sometimes I just brain fart and look half heartedly.

This is such a great board! =)
Andrea

Bookmark   February 6, 2003 at 1:08AM
nikki_nj

Your welcome :) It was intersting looking it up. I think there's little ground loofah bits in there too, there's something else in there that's scrubby.
I'd like to know where you get those moisture beads. You know what I mean? They're like teeny tiny little pearls, with oil inside. They burst open when they get wet. They have them in some soaps, and henna shampoo. That would be neat!

Bookmark   February 6, 2003 at 9:45AM
nikki_nj

Oops, forgot...HI SUE!!!

Bookmark   February 6, 2003 at 10:16AM
sandra_d

Hi Andrea - I have come across a site called (sorry, I don't know how to post a direct link) www.twilighttimefragrances.com. They sell irridescent bubble type beads. They must be plastic or something, I don't think they exfoliate or anything. They would just be
for looks. In fact, they mention putting them in fish in a
bag soap to look like bubbles. Anyway, they have some interesting things to sell & also sell SFIC base. Thanks, Sandra

Bookmark   February 6, 2003 at 3:20PM
Hazel_SC

well, i ordered some of the jojoba spheres, am waiting for an email with my total so I can paypal them the money. Got the sampler pack, also white & purple.....
Thanks alot, LIKE I NEED ANYTHING ELSE TO PLAY WITH!!! (LOL!!)

You should see my craft room. I have one of those 2 door cabinets about 6' tall, about 3½-4 ft wide, that is full of soap stuff...one whole SHELF is oils (actually part of a 2nd shelf has SOME oils on it), molds, micas, etc....also a few bath fizzie things. So, like I said I REALLY didn't NEED ANYTHING ELSE to play with!!

Hazel

Bookmark   February 6, 2003 at 6:28PM
Hazel_SC

well, so far I'm unimpressed with the folks at the jojoba beads site (sunshine soapworks).
I'm STILL waiting for a total so I can pay them, & i've sent an additional email requesting a total, still nothing......

maybe it's just ME, BUT if you have a web site, you ought to check your computer for orders, emails, etc. at LEAST once a day. (Yes, I do have a web site, & yes, I'm checking my computer SEVERAL times a day for orders, emails, etc....)

Ok, rant over......back to your regularly scheduled soapmaking......

(I'm only slightly inpatient.....)

Hazel

Bookmark   February 8, 2003 at 8:42PM
More Discussions
Hot process soap is soft
It's a beautiful soap but it is soft just out of the...
jbander
Removing soda ash from homemade soap
I have been making cold process soap for about 4 years...
bsnyder
soy candle wicking issues
I started making soy candles a few months ago. I am...
lorieru
Rating the Suppliers
I am new to soapmaking. I have ordered from three of...
itsme
First time candle making, some advice please?
So I'm making candles for Christmas presents this year...
Cashmina
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™