Cleaning up

Krinic1985January 2, 2012

I currently use boiling bags to avoid having to clean up, because I don't know the best supplies to use. I don't want my pots to be ruined by chemicals. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brent

Krinic1985,

This is a mixed forum, what chemicals are you worried about?
What are you making, and what method are you doing if you're making soap?

Bookmark   January 4, 2012 at 12:08AM
Krinic1985

I make candles for now but plan on making soaps too.. I don't have too many things to cook in and the things I do have I don't want my other scents and waxes to stick even after I clean. So I use boiling bags. I am not sure what else is best to do. Any suggestions?

Bookmark   January 4, 2012 at 8:18PM
Brent

Krinic1985,

I'm a soap guy, I do not make candles, so I'm unfamiliar with the ingredients needed for such a craft.

Maybe post with a title pertaining to candles, and maybe a chandler will drop by and help ya?

It's been pretty slow 'round here.

Bookmark   January 4, 2012 at 9:07PM
LavenderWoman

For soaps, you need to use a stainless steal bowl for the lye bath. For the batter, to which you mix in the lye bath, you can use hard plastic or stainless steal. You will NOT be able to use plastic, it will melt. For cleaning, you either leave gloves on and wipe out while still soft, toss the paper towels and then wash the dish, or just leave sit (this is what I do) and then scoop out the hardened soap the next day and wash the dishes.
You must use silicone, plastic, or stainless steel utensils, including the spatulas. Any other metal will corrode and the glass will etch and then break when you least expect it too.

It has been many years since I did candles, but I never had a problem cleaning when the wax was warm. You just wipe out your pots when the wax is warm by taking a paper towel and removing the excess. If that means heating it back up a bit, that's what you do. The wax and the FO's will not harm your pots, but these should be dedicated wax pots. You can get a cheap one at the good will or a yard sale to save money, or order a melt pot from a candle supply place. Those are nice when money isn't an issue, because they sometimes have a handle, and almost always have a pour spout. In fact, brambleberry.com (a soap supply place)just began carrying one and I think it was 22$ if I recall correctly.

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 10:12PM
LavenderWoman

I reread what I wrote and it appears I left out the word "bag" after I wrote you won't be able to use plastic, referring to soap making. You won't be able to use plastic bags is what I should have said.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
Why does my soy candle turn color during burn?
I am wondering if I am doing something wrong in the...
HVC2014
Candle newbie - problems topping off
Hi, everyone. I'm new to the candle making hobby, but...
mrbranden
soy candles
Has anyone used coconut oil in soy candles? I read...
busyhummingbird68
Help with Candle making Please
Hi I'm new to candle making and I had bought a candle...
Bullyscents
Candle ignites. "Ooops!" batch question.
I wanted to make a larger batch of candles and apparently...
HVC2014
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™