Cracks in exterior brick

vanenkDecember 9, 2009

Hello all,

Moved into our house about 1.5yrs ago. At the time, there were some cracks in the brick/mortar on opposite ends of the house, widest for either was about 1/8". We asked for a foundation inspection before purchase, and they suggested about $3500 worth of repairs, although they indicated nothing was severe.

Recently had a different company come out, they have suggested placing 7 exterior push piers in varying places around the house where the cracking appears. They have quoted $800 per pier total, tax included, lifetime warranty on all work against future movement. Company is very reputable, comes highly recommended. I plan on getting additional quotes for comparison.

Does this sound like reasonable pricing? I grew up in a house with cracks in brick, never had foundation issues (that I was aware of). House is 14 years old, want to correct any problems, but don't want to go overboard. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts/recommendations.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Are the cracks growing? If so, it's likely that you are looking at the more expensive repair and I'd get more estimates in that case. If the cracks aren't growing, the repair need is mostly cosmetic, as well as to seal up air leaks and seal out insects.

    Bookmark   December 10, 2009 at 10:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If the pier company isn't utilizing the services of a soils engineer, you might consider a consult from a reputable one. It could be anything from improper compaction, drainage problems from water, ground movement issues, etc.

Companies that claim "lifetime warranties" often have "fine print" clauses in the contract that you need to be aware of. These "special" conditions worded in there can eliminate their responsibility for future problems that might arise, so read the contract and get everything in writing knowing what all the writing means and explained to you in detail before any agreement is signed.

    Bookmark   December 10, 2009 at 10:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks for the input. The cracks are growing, or they are moving down the walls, so I know they are continuing. I will definitely read the fine print, I know how warranties go.

Appreciate your thoughts!

    Bookmark   December 13, 2009 at 6:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

sierraeast is right you first need a soil testing engineer group to test the soil and make a recommendation for the best type of repair for your home. I am in Florida and currently my home is being repaired (sinkhole activity) with cement grout. My home wasn't distressed enough to warrent piers. I have a thread here that I have written about my problem but I can't find it.

Even tho you knew this when you bought the house will your insurance company help? My insurance company paid for soil testing and is paying for the repairs by a foundation company. The testing company is best one to tell you what type of repair to use.

    Bookmark   December 16, 2009 at 1:19AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Cellulose Insulation - Do we really need the blower?
We have 8 to 10 packages of cellulose insulation that...
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
Need help with shower tiles! Ceramic?
Please help me identify the preexisting tile in my...
Can you clear my doubt about home security system?
I have a home security system installed recently. Do...
how did gap between floor and wall close up by itself?
I have hardwood floors and there is/was a spot at the...
Sponsored Products
A19 Lighting | Nicosia Wall Sconce
$107.99 | YLighting
Chesapeake Outdoor Wall Light 25 Inch In Black -Antique Rust
$188.10 | Bellacor
Cordelia Lighting Wall Mounted Yorkshire Polished Brass Lantern 4-Light Outdoor
Home Depot
Artisan Copper Patio Torch with Twist Design Wall Bracket - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware
Set of 12 Cracked Lunia Sprays
$49.00 | FRONTGATE
Hinkley Hardy Island Bronze Outdoor Louvered Brick Light
$87.78 | Lamps Plus
Eglo Wall Mounted Park Wall-Mount Outdoor Silver Lamp 20653A
$59.97 | Home Depot
30 Inch Stainless Steel Undermount Single Bowl Kitchen Sink Zero Radius Design
eModern Decor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™