Painting soaps

silver2January 28, 2004

Hi,

Anyone else paint their soaps. I just got a pawprint mold and "as usual" over poured. Thinking it would be easier just to paint the color on.

TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elle110

I tried painting once and it was a disaster. I don't know if it was the paint I was using or what but YUK when I was done.

I would like to learn how to for a couple of the soaps I do, they would look good painted.

I was doing a special order and I kept overpouring these birds that I thought were going to be the death of me, they would have worked out so much better if I had painted.

Let me know how it goes
Michelle

Bookmark   February 27, 2004 at 12:22AM
sriston

Thought I would drop in a line. I have never painted soap, but from reading the trade forums, I gather it is easy. However, most painted soap (from what I gather) is decorative. Once you use it, the artistic features are lost. In other words, looks nice, but not real functional if you want to keep it looking nice. I, too, had a dickens of a time with overpours. I have one mold that I overpour, and she sells well done that way (it is a naked lady on a beach) but it is a real pain, even doing it with just two colors like we do. However, my swirled and blended soaps sell well because they look pretty and they are not hard to do.
Susan

Bookmark   February 27, 2004 at 8:28PM
ccllc

What kind of paint do you use if you want to paint soap. The ones I got are beautiful, but the paint makes the soap hard that you can't use it anymore.

Bookmark   February 24, 2007 at 8:18PM
beadsnthings

Painting soap isn't difficult once you get the hang of it. The paints I use look like tole paints, but you can also use acrylics. Yes, they do harden. When you finish the picture you clear coat it as you would a painting. Only the top of the soap is painted and clear coated. You use the bar from the bottom. The art/paint will stay on the bar until the bar is used up. The best way to practice is to run to the dollar store and buy a few bars of cheap soap to practice on. Dry brushing works the best and is the easiest. Using stencils and dry brushing gives a really nice effect. The more you work the paint the more of a mess you will make. If you make mistakes let the paint dry completely and then start painting again.

It takes a bit of practice but it's worth it. Hand painted soaps are awesome. They can not be duplicated and they are a piece of art that is useable. :)

I hope this helps.

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 3:07AM
More Discussions
No throw soy candles - FRUSTRATED!
I've gone out and bought all of the correct equipment...
milehighcc
Where to get pretty soap labels?
Hi, I was wondering where I could get some pretty soap...
sillymesillyne
New pouring/melting pot discoloration
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and candle making. I...
BeHappy1
soy candle wicking issues
I started making soy candles a few months ago. I am...
lorieru
Adhesion problems when making candles
Ive tried all the different things that I have read...
BGlowik
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™