Poisonous and cancer causing candles?

JamieRJanuary 31, 2006

I have been considering trying to make some candles but found this and was wondering if anyone had any comments? Is it true? Is soy that much better or is the author overblowing things?

http://quampha.com/index.php?content/view/99/58/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terri_pacnw

I believe that some of it's hooey and some of it's "marketing" ploy.
I make soy candles. But I don't say that my candles are better than a handmade/homemade paraffin candle.
The government has strict regulations on using things in candle burning that have been deemed unsafe for people and the environment.
Also people have been burning candles from oil and beeswax for centuries!
Soy is a new by~product.
Soy is a personal choice. And yes it is true that asthmatics and those with breathing problems can usually handle a soy candle burned in their "air" space. Soy has been said to burn cleaner (if properly fragranced, colored and wicked) than paraffin. But people can make and purchase CARPY candles wether soy or paraffin.
You must trust the person or company you buy from either the finished candle, or the supplies to make candles.

Everyone can put a negative or positive spin on things, and all over the internet you can find information, that supports or negates your or someone elses beliefs.
Don't believe everything you read or hear.

Bookmark   February 1, 2006 at 10:42PM
sriston

I agree with Terri. I think this is all marketing hype. While the original report may indeed contain some type of finding about parafin candles being cancer-causing (so is hair dye, according to "reports"), this is written by someone called "soycandlemaker" which leads me to believe that it is promotional marketing for soy candles. Parafin candles and parafin blends have been used for many, many years. I wonder how many people have died, gotten cancer, or had complications caused by the use of parafin candles? I would venture to guess not many. As for air quality, the air quality in an average home is poor anyway. Not only candles, but air fresheners, smoke, cooking fumes, etc. A person could really get paranoid thinking about it.
Susan

Bookmark   February 3, 2006 at 9:48PM
twinoaks

Yup..hooey! I make paraffin candles. I've read lots of "things" about it on the web, I especially like the sites that say soy candles burn cleaner with no soot. Common sense tells you that if there is a flame there is gonna be soot. They just don't always tell you it is white soot.

There are good things in both types of wax. I had help when I started from a woman that used paraffin so that's what I use.

Bookmark   February 6, 2006 at 9:51AM
Mo

See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: National Candle Association - Waxes

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 3:45PM
More Discussions
Removing soda ash from homemade soap
I have been making cold process soap for about 4 years...
bsnyder
Can I make soap using lotion?
Does anyone know if I can use hand lotion to make soap?...
maisienell
Catalytic Effusion Lamp
Anyone know what these are? I have just bought one...
leearnold
Mega melter
I am selling my Mega Melter. I used to sell at shows...
Beth1803
wax fruit
Hi! New here. I am new to candle making, and I was...
basil45
Sponsored Products
Adam & Eve Candleholders - GOLD
$395.00 | Horchow
Currey and Company Starburst 15" High Silver Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Progress Lighting P3929-20 6-Light Foyer With White Finish Candle Sleeves
Progress Lighting
Dale Tiffany Mini Dana Table Lamp
$128.99 | LuxeDecor
Livex Chesterfield 6436-01 Foyer Pendant - 6436-01
$399.90 | Hayneedle