Question about tea lights & a scent

LibbyLizJanuary 7, 2006

Hubby bought me tea lights for Christmas when I requested votives. I don't have tea light holders. Can plastic cup tea lights be burned in open top glass votive holders?

One of the scents was Yankee Coconut Bay. Being it's a fruit/nut scent I'd use it in the kitchen or dining room. But then I also attribute it to a tropical breeze type scent that I could probably use in the bathroom. What's your take on this?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sriston

Yes, you can use the tealights in the votive holders. Tea lights also look lovely when used in stemware, like wine glasses. You can even use them just as they are on any heat-resistant surface since they are in their own "containers", so to speak.

As for the fragrance, I use any fragrance anywhere. Some I tend to use more in the kitchen, like Apple Pie, but I do use scents like that in the living room, too. It is just a matter of personal preference. To me, the fragrance you describe would be a nice summer fragrance for the living room or bedroom. As I said, it is just a matter of where you want to smell it! :)
Susan

Bookmark   January 7, 2006 at 8:56PM
terri_pacnw

The only place you shouldn't burn a plastic cupped tea light is in an enclosed tealight burner. Like ceramic houses and figures.
Otherwise any votive holder or glass, or heat resistant surface.

Interesting to discuss only burning certain scents in certain rooms...
Never thought of that. I burn what I like, where ever I like it.

However, a tealight is not meant to scent a "full room".
You can put it in a small powder room and shut the door, and it might "fill" the room. Otherwise, you'll most likely only get a whiff of a tealight when you walk buy it burning anywhere else.

Bookmark   January 8, 2006 at 9:11PM
LibbyLiz

They'd be put in a bathroom. We have two & they're both small. One has the sink & toilet. The other is two small rooms, one with the sink & the other with the toilet & shower/tub. You can't sit on the toilet & have someone open the door or your legs will get a whack. I should actually call them closets!

I decided to try this scent in the one downstairs, the one with the sink & toilet. I have two sitting on the sink, one on each side of the faucet. It's starting to smell tropical in there even with the door open!

Bookmark   January 9, 2006 at 4:23PM
terri_pacnw

Glad to hear you are enjoying them.
That's what candle burning is all about!

Bookmark   January 10, 2006 at 2:20AM
flogard

Is it safe to use the tea lights with a metal base in wine glasses or should you use the tea lights with a plastic base or neither or does it matter?

Bookmark   November 30, 2006 at 5:03PM
terri_pacnw

Hmmm I'm not sure. It's probably okay do use either. Plastic shouldn't be burned in a "closed" burner though. So it should do fine in a wine glass.

Bookmark   December 1, 2006 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
making candles from old wax?
I am sure many have done this already. Few questions....
bertman_gw
Adhesion problems when making candles
Ive tried all the different things that I have read...
BGlowik
Rating the Suppliers
I am new to soapmaking. I have ordered from three of...
itsme
Can I make soap using lotion?
Does anyone know if I can use hand lotion to make soap?...
maisienell
Hot process soap is soft
It's a beautiful soap but it is soft just out of the...
jbander
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™