Thread Storage

kathyg_in_miSeptember 7, 2007

I was looking for a way to store my 100 or so spools of thread. Googled thread storage and Wow, got a great idea!

The person said to buy, at Walmart, the clear plastic storage cases for Hot Wheels cars, at $4.88 each. I bought 2, and as she said you can store 48 large spools (with their bobbins) or more small spools in each. The 2 I bought are almost full, but hopefully now I will be able to see at a glance what thread I have so I don't keep duplicating them.

Love the internet.

Kathy G in MI

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msmeow

Neat idea! I have mine in pencil-sized drawer inserts, inside a plastic rolling storage cart from Office Depot. I can fit 4 of the inserts in a drawer and just pull it out to see all the colors in it. I don't think I have 100 spools, though!

Donna

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 2:30PM
msmarion

Thanks for the tip KathyG. Any suggestions for serger thread?

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 11:40PM
kathyg_in_mi

Would welcome a tip for storing serger thread. I've got quite a bit of it. The open racks with spindles get dusty, so I got rid of mine (too many spools anyway).
Anyone out there got good ideas for serger thread?
Kathy G in MI

Bookmark   September 8, 2007 at 1:19AM
kathyg_in_mi

I can't believe it. This is exactly the same storage case I bought from Walmart. Only I paid $4.88 for it, not $11.00. LOL! Check out the link.
Kathy G in MI

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread/Hot Wheels Storage case

Bookmark   September 8, 2007 at 1:25AM
msmarion

Kathy do you think the case, when full, would be too heavy to hang from a couple of pegboard hooks? Space is limited in my tiny sewing/computer room.
Marion

Bookmark   September 8, 2007 at 10:41PM
kathyg_in_mi

Marion,
A couple of hooks to spread the weight would probably do it. I just hefted my 2 cases (full) and I think it would work okay.
Kathy G in MI

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 5:00PM
kathi_mdgd

Here's my thread storage system.My GF DH made it for me more than 20 years ago and it holds 228 spools of thread.

For my serger thread it's stored in those plastic drawers that you get at wal mart,target and several other stores.

Kathi

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 9:54PM
kathyg_in_mi

Kathi,
Doesn't your thread get dusty? Do you have a cover for them?
I think I will invest in some of those plastic cases for serger thread. When I worked at Joann's I bought all the different colors of serger thread before we moved, so I have plenty. Probably more than I need. Stocking up is great, except when you move to a smaller home, fewer closets and no basement!
Kathy G in MI

Bookmark   September 11, 2007 at 10:39AM
kathi_mdgd

Yes i have a plastic cover for it,but i was cleaning and re-arranging the sewing room that day,so it was off.That's also why the hammer was hanging there as well,so i knew where it was,because if i laid it down in the mess i had i would have never found it.
Kathi

Bookmark   September 11, 2007 at 11:09PM
lockeb

Hi Kathi,
I use the same concept - my dad made me the most stunning racks....and they hold all of my threads...
Some poeple say tha they get dusty - I've never had a problem...it's the only kind of storage that I use - the 2 large racks on my wall...wouldn't do without them for anything.....
Bill

Bookmark   September 17, 2007 at 11:28AM
zone_8grandma

I also store mine in the thread racks on the wall. One rack for regular sewing thread, one for embroidery and one for serger thread. I keep clear plastic over them to protect them.

I like being able to just look up and see what I need.

Bookmark   September 17, 2007 at 4:39PM
kathi_mdgd

If you noticed on mine i have several spools on one peg,i did that by cutting a drinking straw from the fast food places and adding it to the pegs.This allows me to stack my spools if i have more than one color.

I found a picture of mine in a magazine and gave it to my GF and she had her DH make it for my birthday.

I also like being able to see what i have at a glance.
Kathi

Bookmark   September 17, 2007 at 11:38PM
kathyg_in_mi

Kathi, Great hint on using straws!
Kathy G in MI

Bookmark   September 18, 2007 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
Can I add another layer to drapes?
Howdy folks! I came across a GREAT deal at a resale...
carsonheim
oval cape
I recently saw a BEAUTIFUL cape made of oatmeal sherpa...
mommalin
Great show...fit2stitch
I just started watching fit 2 stitch with Peggy Sagers...
Annie Deighnaugh
Can you tell me if this will work?
Since I have been socked in for four days now, have...
barb_roselover_in
a place to order
My family room has windows all around . It is nice...
barb_roselover_in
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™