HELP! Soap virgin!!

florrie2January 15, 2011

In one of my "frugal" moods, I shredded all my old commercial soap slivers (Dial, Irish Spring, etc), mixed with some water and heated it until the soap melted. I had a gooey, gelatinous mess which I planned to use for soft soap dispensers. Well, THAT didn't work!

Then I read on this site to put the soap into molds to harden. Did that, no effect. Now I have 3 quarts of goo that I don't know what to do with.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks, Florrie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brent

I'm a little late to the party yer havin', but all that you shredded up, may not all have been soap.
For example, Dove is not soap; it's a beauty bar, no where on the lable will you read soap.
What you have may never become what you expected.
And, I doubt, that if you in fact did shred up "soap" it would not stay in the liquid state.

Find "soap" , shred it up, heat it adding as little water as possible to keep malauable, then let cool (the closer to the 100F, the better)if you dont have it on the cool side, any scent you add will burn off. Then, plop it into a mold of your choice (a wax milk carton is good for this, if you don't mind the size and shape).
Good Luck!

Bookmark   January 18, 2011 at 12:11AM
More Discussions
Candle ignites. "Ooops!" batch question.
I wanted to make a larger batch of candles and apparently...
HVC2014
FO similar to Yankee Candle Yankee True Rose
I absolutely love the "discontinued" fragrance...
monica33flowers
Mega melter
I am selling my Mega Melter. I used to sell at shows...
Beth1803
soy candle wicking issues
I started making soy candles a few months ago. I am...
lorieru
Homemade bubble bath?
I was wondering if anyone has made any homemade bubble...
sandylaine
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™