Proud owner of a huge old SZ. Anyone know how to move them?

deedlesMay 1, 2013

Haha.

Seriously. Having great difficulty finding someone to move it. 2 men and a truck won't do it. The commerical appliance people won't do it although he says he gets these calls all the time and maybe he should start providing the service. I suggested he start providing the service with me but no go.

Has anyone ever moved these by themselves rather than hiring out? If so, any advice?

It's the 48 sxs that I posted about yesterday. 300.00. 582#.

I'm cautiously excited to own it with the understanding that we'll have to get a service guy out to check it over for any problems. She's a beaut though and I'm already thinking about some nifty DIY panels for it.

But getting it there is the next thing so any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
powermuffin

My husband and son moved our 4xx pound Chambers with a very stout hand truck onto a trailer without any problems. The trailer has a ramp for such purposes.
Diane

This post was edited by powermuffin on Wed, May 1, 13 at 11:36

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 11:35AM
deedles

Powermuffin: Did they put anything underneath the fridge to protect the underside from the dolly? I understand that can be a problem.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 12:04PM
live_wire_oak

You need about 4 guys with the forarm forklift straps.

Or an airsled.

Or both.

And a low to the ground sturdy trailer. It HAS to stay upright, so you'll need some sturdy strapping to hogtie it to the trailer.

Getting it in place, you definately need the airsled. Getting any built in appiance in place is really best left to those with experience doing it. You might want to go by the appliance retailer who sells SZ localy and talk to his delivery guys about making a couple of hundred bucks off the clock. It's not so much the weight as it is the bulk. It's tall, and wide, and deep. Very difficult to maneuver.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forearm lifting straps

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 12:15PM
deedles

livewire: I did see that airsled earlier. Can you rent them or do you have to buy them? Have to check online... thanks!

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 12:22PM
seattleCraftsman

See if a piano mover will tackle it.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 12:42PM
beekeeperswife

Call a local mover?

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 12:43PM
deedles

Well, I've left message for a couple more movers in this area. One handles pianos so maybe.... fingers crossed.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 9:21PM
chiefneil

I second the idea of talking to the local appliance store and seeing if they'll put you in touch with their movers/installers.

You might get, "Well we won't touch it officially, but if you want to talk to the delivery guys about doing it on the side, that's between you and them."

Reminds me of when I wanted the RO hooked up to my built-in fridge. I called a bunch of stores but nobody would do it. I had a guy out from one of those same stores adjusting the fridge doors and he gave me the same story until I waved $40 under his nose. Took him less than 10 minutes; I bet he was one happy camper on the way out but I was happy to have it finally done.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 12:10AM
deedles

We finally found an outfit that'll move it this Saturday. Cost a little more than the fridge did but oh well. Keeping my fingers crossed for an uneventful move and a working fridge at the end of it.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 9:59AM
CEFreeman

Well, I've figured out this is some kind of an appliance, but what the heck is an SZ? /

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 11:12AM
kirkhall

We've rented an air sled before-- (from an equipment rental place). They work really well on horizontal surfaces, but not stairs, obviously. If you can get a truck with a lift gate, that would be helpful for you too.

If not forearm straps, consider shoulder dollies too. I just got a pair of those to move our washing machine to our second level.

SZ--Sub-Zero, I'm thinking.

This post was edited by kirkhall on Thu, May 2, 13 at 11:52

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 11:49AM
deedles

Yes, Sub Zero. Sorry. I thought that was GW nomenclature.

Have to rent the airsled when it comes time to put it in the hole though.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 3:31PM
gbsim1

Our GC rented a piano dolly to move our 48" range. I was doubtful but it moved the beast like it was nothing. The crew was all smiles since everyone had been dreading the install.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 4:03PM
More Discussions
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
How many cabinet estimates do you get?
Uggh, I tried to search but am giving up. We are considering...
najames
Small Kitchen Reveal - Complete with total redo of the plan during!
It was hard to even begin to post since my kitchen...
lurkerlisa
Layout review needed- please give feedback!
I think I'm getting closer to finalizing a plan for...
melis918
How do I get a rich, warm, chocolate brown stain on oak cabinets?
We originally wanted white cabinets, but the painter...
aryno
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™