Help with kitchen layout in 80's backsplit

Onlygirl73January 25, 2013

Hello! I am looking for some input regarding my 80's backsplit galley kitchen! We are ready to completely gut and redo the kitchen however are not moving our solitary window. I have an issue with the front entry being RIGHT THERE in the kitchen because it does not go with the style of the house (if it was a lovely old farm house then I would be fine with it...)I am also partial to some separation of rooms but am flexible with removing the range/fridge wall to create good eyeline and flow. We are a family of 4 with one heading to university in 2 years. I am the sole cook with very occasional sous chefs lol! We are not big entertainers at home but I would like to change that, keep in mind that we are fairly casual people and do not use our dining room for meals more than 2x a year. It is mostly used for a desk area for me (where I currently sit :) and a staging area for casual sit where you want dinners. Our decor style runs traditional with shabby chic eclectic elements. We are doing a white cabinet with a 180FX Formica counter that I LOVE!!! The flooring is being changed in the entire 1450sq ft house to a warm mid tone brown engineered wood including the kitchen. I am considering making the dining room a small lounge area and moving the dining table and buffet/hutch that currently lives in the kitchen up one half flight of stairs (right in the dining space) to the rarely used 14x20ft living/dining room space we now use as a living room (we hang out in the lower level family room with fireplace and TV) I am going with new appliances including d/w, french door c/d fridge and 30" slide in range. Also a single bowl farm sink. Thanks in advance for your help!

This post was edited by Onlygirl73 on Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 10:23

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Onlygirl73

This is a view from the living room down to the current dining room with the kitchen in the distance.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 10:30AM
Onlygirl73

And a view up to the current living room from the dining room. I also forgot to mention in the original post that we are changing the stairs to wood and replacing the railing and spindles with a white/wood combo. Thanks again!

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 10:35AM
Annie Deighnaugh

You might want to post this over in the kitchen forum too.....

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 10:04AM
Onlygirl73

Thanks Annie, I just did :) Hoping for some assistance with re-design of the main floor spaces including the dining area idea. Thanks again!

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
Tiny House Forum?
I like this forum- but I sometimes think that we could...
angiepangie
lavender_lass
So where are you? New house? Still looking?
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
Mise en place
I give you a link to an NPR article about the above...
Moccasin
Small Home, trying to figure out window blinds
Long time lurker but my first post here. We are currently...
simplylane
knife sharpener help
I need a knife sharpener. I have 1 knife sharp enough...
desertsteph
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™