craftmen garage opener (light)

louistorresDecember 6, 2009

I HAVE A CRAFTMEN 1/2HP #41A5021-3F GARAGE DOOR OPENER ,WHEN I OPEN THE DOOR THE LIGHT COMES ON WHICH IS FIND,BUT WHEN OPENING OR CLOSING THE DOOR THE LIGHT STAYS ON TO LONG THAT IT DISCOLOR THE PLACTIC LIGHT BULB COVER.IS THERE A TIMER OR AN ADJUSTER TO DETERMINE HOW LONG THE LIGHT STAYS ON ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GDS_

The older models of light covers will turn yellow with age and the heat of the light bulb. However, the most prevelent cause of the yellow is using a wattage that is way to high for the plastic.
The older ones were only rated for a maximum of 60 watts and we find a lot of people put in 100 watt bulbs, wich actually burns or melts the plastic light cover.
Make sure you have no more than a 60 watt bulb in there, and if the light cover looks unsightly, then throw it in the garbage.
The light cover is strictly cosmetic, cuts down on the available light, trapps the heat in there which causes the light bulb to burn out prematurely, and it looks unsightly.

The newer machines (within the last 8 years) have the ability to adjust the "time on" for the light bulbs.
The older ones are a set time.

Bookmark   December 6, 2009 at 8:20PM
More Discussions
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Asbestos in Popcorn Ceiling/ worried sick
Hi. My house was built in the late 60s and I recently...
mogley966
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™