What Do You Use To Make A Pattern

marilyn_sueSeptember 22, 2012

I want to make a pattern for my purse skirt. What would you use to copy it onto, newspaper, tissue, interfacing or what? It isn't all that big about 10 x 15 inches I imagine. What do you use? Have any good ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jomuir

I use cheap packaged sew-in interfacing. It's easy to draw on & lasts forever. For your small size, regular interfacing wouldn't be too expensive, a half yard should do you.

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 12:49PM
minnie_tx

the interfacing is a good idea but if you're in a pinch use the back (plain side) of wrapping paper like Christmas etc .

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 4:49PM
sherrmann

I use cheap interfacing, too. You can make two or three kids' patterns from a packaged roll that costs less than a dollar, so you will get lots of purse patterns from.a.roll. I also use wax paper in a pinch, but it is slippery.

Wrapping paper would work if you are making your own patterns, but not for tracing because you can't see through it.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 10:00AM
Annie Deighnaugh

I tend to use plain brown paper...I have some left over from packaging materials but have even used brown grocery bags.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 9:44PM
marilyn_sue

Thank you all for your advice. I used the wrapping paper since I had some in the sewing room. After I get it perfected, I will transfer it to the interfacing. I have not cut out any fabric yet, but have washed up some scraps of fabric I had on hand to preshrink it. It may be a few days before I can work on it. So much going on right now. Thanks again.

Sue

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 11:33AM
minnie_tx

Sue be sure take photos as you go along we'd love to see how you do it !!!

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 6:40PM
kathi_mdgd

the press and seal from your kitchen cabinet is good for tracing a pattern on to.Works Great
Kathi

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 6:41PM
Paisley3

Painters paper that can be found at any hardware store such as lowes, home depot is great for making patterns. It comes in different widths which makes it nice so you don't have to buy the largest width for small patterns.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 7:45AM
Liddybuff

I save some of the "Blank" areas from my patterns to use for making other patterns. Sometimes they use a whole sheet of pattern paper just to print a few pieces. All the better for me I say. Since I make lots of doll clothes the pieces go a long way.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 9:31PM
More Discussions
Newbie Needle Question
How do you know it is time for a new needle? And, the...
Merrygardener
kenmore 12511 machine woth cleaning and keeping?
My daughter has become interested in sewing. I have...
kellim45
sewing machine tension set to 5
I had my sewing machine serviced recently because the...
talley_sue_nyc
Advanced beginner , emphasis on beginner
What r ur fave online fabric stores? I am looking...
bossyvossy
fabric for a pant suit
I have been wanting to make a periwinkle pant suit...
jewels247
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™