Best time of year to replace a roof

cindyinctDecember 9, 2011

I live in Connecticut. When is the best time of year to replace a roof? What are the issues when its done during a non-ideal time?

My roof isn't leaking or anything, a few shingles have blown off, but there are 2 layers, so I'm guessing it will survive the winter. It did last year with all that snow we had. The 2nd layer of shingles was put on just before I moved in in November of 1987, so its definitely due.

Thanks, Cindy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierraeast

For composition shingles, when it's warm and dry time of the year in your area. You have two existing layers, it would be wise to have those stripped, all flashings inspected/replaced if needed, roof sheathing inspected/replaced if needed, new underlayment including grace ice & water shield, and new drip edgings. If you currently have 3-tab shingles, you might consider going with a dimensional/architectual shingle as they are heavier and for the most part double ply'd and handle winds better as the leading edge of the shingle has a better adhesive design vs. a 3-tab.

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 2:08PM
sierraeast

Seek out a reputable roofer in your area. You might pay a tad more initially but in the long run will save vs. having an inexperienced crew do a hack job. A roof needs to be done right to get longevity barring no natural disasters,( hail, hurricane force winds, a tree falling on it, etc).

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 2:37PM
sierraeast

Seek out a reputable roofer in your area. You might pay a tad more initially but in the long run will save vs. having an inexperienced crew do a hack job. A roof needs to be done right to get longevity barring no natural disasters,( hail, hurricane force winds, a tree falling on it, etc).

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 2:38PM
jonnyp

Cindy
I am in Ma these guys go all winter. Of course they don't work when there is three feet of snow. I can tell you pretty much every thing sierraeast has said is spot on. Had my roof done in 6/10 , these guys stripped 2 layers and used the same prescription as was fore mentioned (dimensional/architectural shingle w/ ice and water barrier) and were done in 5 hours. Total cost $5200. By 2:00 you would never have known any thing had been done.There was also a 1 year unconditional guarantee.
I will admit the price was way under the next closest bid of 6100. But that's what these guys do well. Shop around.

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 8:11PM
More Discussions
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
Craftsman Garage Door opener won't close
Hello, Wife came home today and was able to open garage...
mattb32
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
rachelep
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
martin-ferdinand
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™