Sewing forums/decorator fabric sites

sujiwan_gwSeptember 10, 2009

This is my first post here; I have done some sewing of wearable items but nothing for years. I've never made anything like curtains, pillows, couch covers, etc. It looks like it is time to haul my sewing machine out of the closet and reacquaint myself with it.

My questions to posters here--

What other sewing forums do you find useful/fun?

Which online fabric websites are the best for home decor and of those which have the best sales on fabric? I was not impressed with our one fabric store (Jo-Anns) sales yesterday.

I am particularly looking for cotton, cotton blends, linen blends for draperies.

Thanks for your responses!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandy2_gw

Sounds crazy but you would be surprised what you can find at garage sale and don't forget your local goodwill or thrift store. We also have a Hobby Lobby in our area that has some nice fabrics.

Sandy

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 5:57PM
noinwi

I used to get some good fabric deals on eBay, but it seems lately most of the fabric is from larger vendors that are quite expensive.
I check the local thrift stores, too.
Hancock Fabrics is pretty good and they have an online store. Check to see if you have a Mill Ends Textiles in your area. I like this store a lot, but the nearest to me is 1 1/2 hours away(sigh).

Bookmark   September 12, 2009 at 1:03PM
nightangel

I'm with Sandy on the thrift stores and the yard sales. I buy flat sheets for $1-$2 each and use them for the backs of quilts. I buy jeans at yard sales and use the denim to make handbags. Full skirts can have a couple of yards of fabric in them. Suede skirts and pants can be used for appliques on clothing. I use old stained sweatshirts and pants to make covers for my floor mops instead of buying the disposable wipes.

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 5:56PM
More Discussions
White serger
I have a White Superlock 2000 serger. I have been sewing...
kathielo
Pleating help
Hello all. It's been a while since I asked a question...
cloybaby
fabric for a pant suit
I have been wanting to make a periwinkle pant suit...
jewels247
Dog house pattern
Does anyone have or know where I can find a pattern/instruction...
josephene_gw
Bernette Serger 334D - a Classic!
I love this serger, bought it used many years ago,...
gramfel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™