Craftsman snow thrower won't shut off !!

eschwedeDecember 7, 2009

My Craftsman snow thrower won't shut off when I remove the key, obviously something is wrong with the sensor. has anyone heard of this and how to repair. Secondly is there a way to shut off the snow thrower safely besides using the key ?? I am fearful that removing the spark plug is not asmart decision. thanks !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shadetree_bob

On my craftsman lawn tractor when you turn the key to stop it puts a ground on the input of the ignition unit. You may have a bad switch, or you are not turning the key all the way to stop or you have a loose wire / broken wire.

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 2:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maryland_irisman

I guess by the time I'm answering this, it ran out of gas and is no longer a problem. (just kidding)

Another way to shut it down if apprehensive to pull the plug wire, would be to put it on FULL CHOKE. Some engines do not have a choke lever or cable (auto choke). In that case remove the air cleaner and put your hand over the carb (you'll feel a slight suction) until the engine stops.

Another method would be to take a pair of pliers or similar tool and squeeze the fuel line (will stop the fuel) until it quits.

I always suggest everyone put a fuel shut-off valve on power equipment such as snow blowers. That way you can burn all the fuel from the carb. and fuel lines. This is especially true for equipment (like snow blowers) that only get run 2 or 3 times a year. It would come in handy in situations like you are having now too.

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
concrete over concrete?
I have filled the space under my front door threshold...
robinasq
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
media529
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™