Rusting Corner Beads in Florida House

piasanoDecember 3, 2012

We built four years ago. Rust was coming through on the corner beads in some places even before the contractor signed off on the completed house. His solution at the time was to spray Kiltz on the rusting areas. More and more areas are beginning to show rusting beads. Before I Kiltz those areas, does anyone know why this is happening? The house is a split level. The rusting is happening on the upper level. We are sure this has to do with the high hunidity here in Florida. We are on a canal, and very near the ocean. We do have the windows open ~ especially in the Master bedroom, alot. So, my question is, is there something better to use to seal those corner beads than Kiltz? Would it be a good idea to use something like CLR to dissolve the rust prior to Kitlzing?

Is anyone else having this kind of problem?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodbutcher_ca

Hi. I don't think Kiltz stops rust. It is used to prevent bleed through. I would sand the rust and steel wool it. Then apply Rustolium primmer. If you have the skill remove the steel corner bead and install plastic cornerbead.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 8:38PM
energy_rater_la

corner beads on what?
can you post a picture?

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 9:45AM
rwiegand

You can either lower the humidity (by closing the house and using AC or dehumidifiers) or replace the metal beads with plastic. Any surface treatment will be temporary at best.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 1:21PM
doug_gb

Untreated metal will rust when covered with latex (water based) paint. The corner bead material apperently wasn't treaed.

They need to be sealed with a solvent based primer.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 1:24PM
millworkman

Metal Corner Beads are Galvanized so I believe lowering the humidity would be the proper thing to do. The current ones will rust through again after being sealed

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 9:06AM
Jumpilotmdm

Most likely those corner beads were rusting BEFORE they were installed, i.e. stored improperly. That rust will be stronger than anything you can spray/throw at it. The only permenant solution is costly and messy and that is cut them out and replace them.
Sorry...

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 9:40PM
piasano

Thanks to all for your responses. Wood Butcher, I will try the Rustoleum. :O)

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 3:29PM
Jumpilotmdm

Rustoleum is over rated. If you choose not to tear them out, prime them with ANY rust inhibiting primer, preferably red oxide, them prime with stain blocker, then paint with anything you want, oil or latex.

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 9:10PM
energy_rater_la

replace with plastic corner beads,
why take the chance of it happening again.

best of luck.

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 9:26AM
delphi216

If your drywall was installed before 2009 I would be suspicious that it could be defective drywall that was imported from China from 2001 thru 07 - 08. That could possibly the cause of your corner bead rusting through. I know this might be out of the construction time frame but close enough to be worth the mention.
Delphi

Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 2:30PM
More Discussions
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
Settling crack been repaired by 6 people - any advice?
Our house is 25 years old. The foundation was put in...
BelfastBound
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™