need help with sewing around corners

aliciavr6August 16, 2010

I'm making a bag, it has a top panel attached at both ends to a bottom panel, then I am to sew the 2 side panels onto this, I think of it as 3D sewing?? I'm a beginner obviously. The lining is constructed the same way, then gets dropped into the exterior. When sewing the lining with my machine, the fabric wrinkled, overlapped and just bunched up at the rounded corners, all 4! How do I prevent this so I get a nice rounded edge with no sewn in wrinkles? I have yet to sew the exterior because I know this will happen and have no idea how to do it correctly. :( Please help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

Check your top tension. It might be too tight if the fabric is bunching. The stitching should meet in the middle of the fabric but not be so tight it pulls. Loosen the tension a tiny bit and sew on a scrap, then loosen again and test it out. If the thread loops on top or bottom then turn it back. Once you get the tension right it should sew better.

Sewing with a slippery fabric is challenging if you are a beginner. You might be better to hand baste with large stitches before you sew. Or pin it well every inch or so all around. Cotton makes a good lining too and is much easier to sew than lining material.

When you get to the corner go slow. Put your hands on the material--one hand flat and one on the edge and slowly turn your fabric as you sew. Or Take a couple of stitches then turn slightly, and take a couple more and continue until the corner is sewn. Again practice on fabric scraps until you get it right

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 3:58AM
sherrmann

And shorten your stitch length as you approach each corner, lengthening again after you've made each curve.

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 10:57AM
carolb_w_fl

Hi - you did not say whether you clipped the 'straight' corners or not. When joining a straight piece to a curved or cornered piece, it best to staystitch a hair away from the seam line then clip the fabric so it can spread out to fit around the bends.

For corners you need only make 1 cut right into the point where the corner will be, for curves, you make a series of clips. Staystitching (a line of short length stitching slightly off the seam line & on the seam allowance) keeps the fabric from fraying past the stitching line when clipped.

IMPE, most pattern instructions include this information, but you didn't say that you're using 1.

HTH

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 8:18AM
More Discussions
Sewing eyelet material onto T shirt to make it longer?
The eyelet material is not stretch. Of course the T...
hobby_libby
kenmore 12511 machine woth cleaning and keeping?
My daughter has become interested in sewing. I have...
kellim45
bernina activa 131
Hi, There is a Bernina Activa 131 that has come up...
melaniejo
Dog house pattern
Does anyone have or know where I can find a pattern/instruction...
josephene_gw
Upper Thread will not pick up Bobbin Thread.
Hi, I have a Brother XL3100 and the upper thread will...
sweetnlow
Sponsored Products
Bath Authority DreamLine Visions Frameless Sliding Shower Door, Single Threshold
Modern Bathroom
Brown Trim Miranda Power-Loomed Rug
$24.99 | zulily
Global Direct Lamps 23.5 in. Verdigris and Bronze Buffet Lamps 29271-2
Home Depot
Fischer Mobel | Suite Square Coffee Table
YLiving.com
Rectangular Corner Shower Tray With Curved Front
Signature Hardware
Darlee San Marcos Dining chair - DL2013-1/101
$324.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for: