Siding repair / replacement Vinyl vs Hardi

JsteinbergDecember 17, 2012

My house was built in the 80s with pressboard siding that has swelled with water in places. One side of my house has been ravaged by woodpeckers and needs to be entirely replaced with some of the sidewall and insulation repaired and replaced. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to do the entire house so I am faced with dealing with one side.

All of the contractors I've spoken to have suggested using Hardi plank or similar cement fiber siding with the exception of one who said he would go with Mastic Carvedwood Vinyl and it would look fine. There are similar colors in both to match. The vinyl would save me about $1,200.

Ultimately I would like to do the whole house but wasn't confident in how vinyl would look if it was only one side.

Any comment or suggestions regarding vinyl vs Hardi?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

If I had to make the choice, I much prefer the look of a clapboard siding like Hardie over vinyl.

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 7:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
badgergal

We replaced our cedar siding with Hardi plank. At first we only did the front of the house because we also had woodpecker damage. The corners did not match up as far as the size of the boards was concerned but you would only notice that if you were standing at the corner and looking at the front and side at the same time and knew that they were different size boards.
We liked the siding so much that we did the two sides a year later. We have not done the back of the house yet. We have had the siding installed for about 4 years now and there have been no issues. The color is exactly the same as the day it was installed.
It was expensive but IMO looks much better than vinyl siding

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 9:14AM
More Discussions
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
storyta
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
pdg777
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
pegasus101
Cellulose Insulation - Do we really need the blower?
We have 8 to 10 packages of cellulose insulation that...
kendog2
Andersen patio door repair
My 20-year old Anderson patio sliding glass door is...
daninthedirt
Sponsored Products
Sun Joe Pressure Joe 1450 PSI 1.45 GPM 11.5-Amp Electric Pressure Washer (Refurb
Overstock.com
Scaffold Three Story Rolling Scaffold Tower
Beyond Stores
Tile Saws Cutters & Accessories: MD Building Products Building Materials 4 in.
Home Depot
Avian Bungalow Hanging Bird House
Grandin Road
Transitional Rubbed Dark Bronze 1-light Outdoor Wall Fixture
Overstock.com
Copper Mansion Bird House - Green Whitewash with Bright Copper Roof
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™