Backstitching ends of bias tapes

hudakoreAugust 19, 2014

Is there a simple trick I can use when trying to backstitch the ends of folded bias tapes? I can sew forward and back but in coming forward again to finish sewing the strip, it gets all messed up as it tries to go back under the foot of the machine...it just gets all hung up.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

I have a couple of suggestions for you. The first is when you go back, don't actually sew all the way back off the bias tape. Use the wheel instead of the foot control and make sure that last stitch stays on the fabric (you might have to lift the presser foot and move the fabric a bit to make that happen). Then go forward again. If that doesn't work, you might try using a "Jean-a-ma-jig" or "Hump Jumper". I have a Jean-a-ma-jig and it does come in handy. But you could make something simple yourself that will do just as well, which is what I often do because I keep misplacing that little piece of plastic. You can fold a couple of pieces of cardboard and place them on either side of the seam at the back of the presser foot and just under the ends. Then do your backstitch and then go forward. Every machine is different and yours just may not like sewing on air, in which case my first suggestion would be your best bet, or a combination of both suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jean-a-Ma-Jig

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 5:22PM
dancingirl_gw

The feed dogs are causing the tape to hang up--why not slip a piece of paper or stabilizer underneath the tape end and then tear away? I think this might help.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 8:45AM
FlamingO in AR

I use small pieces of newsprint paper in cases like that. You can buy big pads of it in the art dept at hobby stores. It tears really easily.

Layer the fabric and then the tape/ribbon and then the paper on top. Paper makes everything easier! And I do almost all my sewing with my walking foot, that helps too.

Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 8:13AM
More Discussions
foot pedal not moving needle
We have a Brother Limited Edition Project Runway Sewing...
somae
Drop feed dogs or cover?
Would not having feed dogs that drop, but instead having...
hobby_libby
pls help, Brother needle bar question
Hi There, I bet this will be an easy fix for one of...
amandalynn
Seamstress Needed
Hi, Is there any experience seamstresses in Illinois...
loppsylou50
bernina activa 131
Hi, There is a Bernina Activa 131 that has come up...
melaniejo
Sponsored Products
Empress Armchair and Sofa Set of 2 in Azure
$1,059.00 | LexMod
Renate CIRQUE Accent End Table with Drawer
Overstock.com
CAP Barbell Regular 160 lb. Weight Set with Threaded Ends - RSG-160T
$439.99 | Hayneedle
Klus 1430 - MICRO-K series LED Profile End Cap
Super Bright LEDs
Hinkley Lighting Outdoor Lighting. 20 Watt Equivalent Low Voltage Bronze LED Nex
Home Depot
Campania International Pisa Cast Stone Bird Bath - B-054-AL
$109.99 | Hayneedle
Philips Ceiling Mounted Lighting Orb 3-Light Satin Nickel Ceiling Fixture
Home Depot
Entertainment Console with Interchangeable Panels - Cherry
$899.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™