Light Bulb Pull Chain broken

boneladyDecember 28, 2005

I pulled the chain to turn off my closet light this morning and the string came right off! It appears to be torn right to the fixture, and I can't figure out how to reattach anything. Am I doomed to dress in the dark or do I have to call an electrician to replace the fixture?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thombat4

Do you mean that the small chain is totally broken off the fixture? Usually the string will break but the chain will still be there. If not, unless you're handy you may have to bite the bullet and call someone. A handyman should be cheaper than an electrician if you can find one.
I would even go as far as going to a Home Depot or neighborhood hardware and buying the fixture myself. Replacing a fixture like that is not difficult at all and should not cost you an arm and a leg to repair or replace.

All the best to you.

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 10:02AM
rjoh878646

It is very simple procedure to change one these fixtures. First you need to purchase an enclosed lightbulb fixture with a pullchain. The bare bulb types are no longer used in closets. Turn off the electricty to the present fixture, remove present fixture, and disconnect the two wires on the old fixture. Reconnect the wires to the new fixture using the wirenuts removed from the old fixture and screw back into place.

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 10:40AM
liz2

This happened to me recently. Easy fix that takes about ten minutes. See instructions above. The fixture I bought cost about $10.00.

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 11:57AM
bonelady

THanks, rjoh! I actually did it !

Bookmark   January 3, 2006 at 10:23AM
rjoh878646

Your Welcome!

Bookmark   January 4, 2006 at 11:17AM
More Discussions
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™