Sofa & Air Vent Clearance?

ttoddJuly 31, 2008

I'm considering putting my sofa over the floor vent in our LR. The sofa has a 2" floor clearance. Do you think that is enough? I wasn't able to find any guidelines on-line.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justgotabme

Ttodd, are your vents on the floor near the wall? If so I used to put bricks behind the legs of my sofa's to keep them from covering the vents. Granted I had a skirted couch then. I've also used diverters.

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 3:23PM
graywings123

No, that doesn not seem like nearly enough clearance to allow the air to circulate in the room.

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 3:28PM
magothyrivergirl

My sectional sofa blocks one of the air vents completely, also about 2" clearance. I have no choice. Our heat is heat pump air, which is cool, so this has not been a problem as far as the temp of the air. I also put a disposable air filter in the vent to catch some of the dirty air. We also have an electrostatic furnace filter.
I would be concerned if your furnace heat is hot air during the winter - that the heat from the air would prematurely wear out the fabric.

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 3:31PM
newhomebuilder

If you can back the sofa off of the wall a few inches, you will have enough circulation.

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 3:50PM
mpmg46

Would these work to solve your problem? I have one in my MB (we have a heat pump) under a chest which has worked great for us, both with a/c and heat. The temperature has remained the same with/without the deflector.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat Register Defector

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 5:48PM
mpmg46

Oops, make that deflector! not defector! :)

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 5:50PM
ttodd

THANK YOU ALL SOOOOOOO VERY MUCH!!!!!! I am so relieved & feel like my options have been opened greatly.

We have dual zoned heat pumps & central air so hot air is not blowing out. That was a really good point & one that I'd not thought of. The vent is in the floor close to the wall. It's an old, old house so as anyone w/ old homes knows: small rms., lots of doors to each rm. & windows everywhere. Add a modern heat system w/ flr. vents & you can get super limited w/ furniture placement.

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 7:29PM
More Discussions
I need help deciding what color to paint my sofa frame
I am re-upholstering a vintage french couch, with the...
lizzierobin
Red / burgundy accent wall?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Do you have a blog?
Not sure what the houzz rules are (snicker at myself...
the_foxes_pad
If I have two large rugs in a room how different should they be?
In the living room, I already have one 9 x 13 rug and...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
Best glass shower doors
Can someone recommend a good quality brand of glass...
sis2two
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™