Which to buy??

bdbartAugust 4, 2011

I am in the market for a serger, my mother has one, but does not use it often, yet still wants to hang on to it instead of letting me test it out......Anyway, there are a couple of sergers on craigslist for about $100 (the links are below). I will try to test both of them out and see if the owners are willing to 'teach' me the technique. Are either one of these OK to buy for a first-timer? If so which?

http://tuscaloosa.craigslist.org/art/2499094703.html

http://tuscaloosa.craigslist.org/for/2483461962.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathi_mdgd

The second one is a good one,IF there is nothing wrong with it.Best to take someone with you that knows how to use it to try it out.I had a white 534 for 26 years and never had a lick of trouble with it.But when it finally pooped out,the parts for it were no longer available,so i got a new brother.

Kathi

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 9:56PM
budster

Check them both out if you can, I do like the look of the second serger as it is very much like my Pfaff which is over 20 years old and still runs like a charm. I would take kathi's advice and get a person who knows how a serger works to go along with you for a second opinion. I can't say much about the first serger - IF what is posted is true, about it not being used much it deserves a look at...... when you go for a look, take some fabics with you so you can test out how it works on different types of material..check the blades in the cutters aren't worn or nicked... that is a major expense to get new ones (at least for my Pfaff it is). Budster - p.s. if you remember let us know which you got and how you like it.

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 2:48PM
djonesc

i have a white ats 2000, old, but good ... best advice: check em out before purchase .... darlene

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
Anyone use Singer Touch 'n' Sew?
My Singer is one of the old Touch 'n' Sew's from about...
socks
Singer toy sewing machine question
Hi, I have a Singer Sewhandy toy electric sewing machine...
philanna273
Seamstress Needed
Hi, Is there any experience seamstresses in Illinois...
loppsylou50
sewing machine tension set to 5
I had my sewing machine serviced recently because the...
talley_sue_nyc
altering pants
When I take in the legs of pants, I take in both seams...
laurenjay
Sponsored Products
New Geometric Hand Knotted Wool Red Kazak Veg Dyed Oriental Rug H672
BH Sun Inc
Jut Rectangular Outdoor Dining Table, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Westinghouse Ceiling Fans Acrylic Sphere Pull Chain 7708400
$5.49 | Home Depot
Serena & Lily Cut Circle Sheet Set
Serena & Lily
Algreen ErgoGarden Deluxe Elevated Garden Bed Planting System - 32001
$199.99 | Hayneedle