Need new siding

craig00December 14, 2012

Our 1970's home lost some vinyl siding in the Sandy storm and the insurance company is paying for new siding.

So, what to get? The cement fiber board looks great but so does the James Hardie Backerboard material. I'd like to stay away from vinyl and can't afford cedar.

We'll be in the home another 20 years and want something maintenance free. Good insulation properties are also a benefit. It's a two story 4 bedroom colonial about 2,700 sq. ft.

FWIW, the guy who put on a new roof 3 years ago did a great job at a very fair price, but it took about 6 calls to get a call back. Once he responded he was on top of everything. I called him twice for the siding job but no response and I'm less willing to chase him down again.

I'm in Bucks County PA.

Any advise would be appreciated

This post was edited by craig00 on Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 9:12

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Backerboard is not intended as use for exterior siding.

Composite concrete products(including Hardie products) that are designed for siding are good long term solutions. But, none of them are completely maintenance free.

The house I just bought has steel and hard plastic (molded to look like cedar shake shingles) insulated siding. The siding has been installed for over 15 years and just needs an occasional washing. Long term, those two would be the best.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
martin-ferdinand
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™