cd fridge--how much are they supposed to stick out?

ratherbeknittingMay 11, 2010

Hey All,

I am really close to posting a finished pic of my kitchen (need to finish unpacking the boxes!!)--still working through some issues with the appliances. Does anyone out there have the GE Profile Counter-Depth 20.8 Cu. Ft. French Door Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator

Model #: PFIC1NFWBV?

I just had this refrigerator installed and it sticks out from the cut out really far. The GE tech who came out to look at a problem with the icemaker said that if the cutout were bigger I could have pushed it in more. How much does your cd fridge stick out from the cut out?

Thanks,

Jen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gobruno

We just installed a Samsung CD fridge, and ours sticks out a bit too. I was kind of expecting this though. Most CD fridges aren't flush. They all stick out a little bit. We should have probably done something to recess the outlet or something so that we could have had the plug be flush, but it's a lot better than having a regular depth fridge. I'll try to remember to take a picture tonight.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 10:50AM
ratherbeknitting

Yeah but mine is sticking out past the seal about 3".

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 11:09AM
joep_2009

The fridge doors sticks out.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 11:22AM
totallyconfused

Mine sticks out about 1/2" plus the seal and the door, so about 3 1/2" total.

Totally Confused

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 12:31PM
buehl

The vast majority of CD refrigerators are refrigerators with carcasses/boxes approx 24" deep. The doors must stick out past the adjacent walls/doors/cabinets/counters to open fully. What most of us have done to make a CD refrigerator look more built-in is to surround it by 3/4" finished (plain) end panels with a full-depth (24") cabinet mounted above the refrigerator & b/w the end panels.

There's not much you can do about the doors sticking out past the counters if you want to be able to open them fully!

Oh, and if your refrigerator is against a wall, be sure the wall is either no deeper than the refrigerator carcass OR you have a 9" to 12" wide cabinet or cab + counter between the refrigerator and wall.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 12:45PM
ratherbeknitting

I guess I will just learn to love it or save up for a built in : ) I have learned so much from this forum. I should have thought about the cabs above the fridge (they are 2" shorter than the fridge itself.)

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 2:51PM
joep_2009

Are you sure it won't go in any further? From the specs for the fridge, the box without the door is 24'1/8". It doesn't seem like it should stick out that much.

Here is a link that might be useful: ge profile PFIC1NFWBV dimensions

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 3:01PM
cawfeegirl

We just installed the Samsung French Door Counter Depth. The doors stick out, but don't they HAVE to? In order to be able to open? Here's a pic:

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 3:35PM
buehl

Yes, the doors have to stick out past the surrounding cabinets/counters to be able to open fully. Most CD refrigerators stick out from the back wall approximately 30". That accounts for:

Air & plug clearance in the back + carcass + doors + handles

Two threads (I just posted to them as well w/more information for those who have bookmarked them.)

Thread: Hiding the Refrigerator Carcass

Thread: CD Refrigerator measurement...confused

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Build-In a Refrigerator Slideshow

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 4:09PM
weedmeister

"I should have thought about the cabs above the fridge (they are 2" shorter than the fridge itself.)"

No wonder you can't get it further back! You also need about an inch above the fridge for ventilation purposes. Maybe you need to raise the cabinet by 3" to get the fridge to fit.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
Beam in Kitchen - Wine rack?
We are doing a kitchen remodel. We have 8 ft ceilings....
neubz
How To Buy a Faucet
Ive lurked and IÂve learned a lot from GardenWeb....
francesca_sf
Week 40: Sacrificed? Unobtainable dreams? Which direction?
A lot of questions this morning! Other than your entire...
CEFreeman_GW
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
What to put above kitchen window
I would like some help in finding a unique piece of...
zorroslw1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™