new front door sigelights

mcp4December 30, 2013

I am replacing a wood front door with 2 side lights. I can not replace the entire unti because tearing this out would creat thousands of dollars in other repairs. I am trying to find someone to just replace the sidelights. IS that so difficult?????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Not so difficult but the entire unit really needs to be removed to install the new sidelites properly. It may just be a job that a contractor will not or does not want to do.

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 8:31AM
HandyMac

"tearing this out would creat thousands of dollars in other repairs."

The unit has to be removed to replace the side lights. In other words, the door cannot be left in place to replace the side lights.

So, basically, yes, it is that difficult.

If the assembly was installed as a one piece framed unit, there are many considerations that have to be addressed when modifying the unit.

Door installers will probably not want to do a job like that. Too many chances for later problems.

Best chance is to find an experienced handy person----but, there are not many folks with that kind of experience simply because there is not much demand for that kind of work---so not much chance for getting experience.

And, because of the probability of a later problem and the lack of warranty, you may wind up with a much worse problem in the future.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 11:45AM
Debbi Branka

Are you replacing the GLASS in the sidelights or the entire sidelights? We had just the glass replaced because I hated the ones that came with the house. (I'm in Michigan btw.)

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 2:37PM
More Discussions
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™