Filling in hole in block wall

jb_njNovember 9, 2007

I have a 4"x6" hole in my basement block wall where the previous owner had installed an electrical outlet.

What is the best way to fill and patch this hole?

I've had some water seeping through the walls in this area on rare occasions, so I am looking to make this a solid patch.

Here is a photo:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

Put cement board in back and use hydraulic cement for the surface.
Ron

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 8:20PM
jb_nj

Thanks. What is cement board and where would I get that?

Bookmark   November 11, 2007 at 8:43AM
beacher003

Or just get some ready mix concrete and mix up a small batch and fill in the hole. Trowel it smooth.

Bookmark   November 11, 2007 at 11:47AM
rjoh878646

cement board is available at Lowes or home depot. It comes in 3 by 5 ft sheets. Idon't really think you need it. Just fill it in with hydraulic cement. hydraulic cement expands when it cures and will cure even with water trying to penetrate it. The cement sets very fast so you have a short working time. Wear rubber gloves while working with it.

Bookmark   November 11, 2007 at 7:55PM
jb_nj

Is there any structural benefit to filling in the entire block cavity with cement? Or should I just repair the hole? I could be over-thinking this...thanks.

Bookmark   November 11, 2007 at 10:02PM
beacher003

You are over thinking it but at least you are thinking. Cement is really the easiest way to fill it. Either stuff some batting of sorts into the bottom to prevent the mix from falling into the block cell below the opening or just mix up some small batches and fill the opening till it's packed full.

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 12:50PM
rjoh878646

just stuff some plastic bags or a piece of foam in the bottom and fill the rest with hydraulic cement.

Hydraulic Cement

Many homeowners don't realize that ordinary Portland cement shrinks when it dries. The shrinkage is very little, however it does shrink. This means that if you patch a crack or a hole, a very tiny leak may form after the cement dries.

Hydraulic cements do the opposite. They expand as they dry. In new construction I use them to fill the void areas in foundations around water pipes, electric wire sleeves, foundation form holes, etc. The stuff works! Often it has a short 'pot' life. This means that you should only mix up enough material that you can comfortably use in 10 to 15 minutes

quoted from the "ask the builder" website

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™