Pest Proofing?

jaxoNovember 14, 2010

I saw some kind of bug crawling inside a bathroom ceiling light fixture, so I assume it crawled in through the attic to the ceiling to the light fixture and then into the rest of the house.

I decided to look all around and I also noticed light leaking through the corners of the exit doors despite weatherstripping.

They may also be coming in under sliding glass doors, cable and telephone jacks, light switches, electric outlets, through gaps around plumbing and gas lines, from under baseboards and so on.

I call a pest service periodically, but pesticide spraying will never end if the living space is full of pathways to the outside.

I think all of these openings can be sealed tight with various sealants and caulks.

I can't think of a way to seal the built-in glass door in front of the natural gas fireplace that will be safe and handle the heat.

Has anyone successfully sealed out insects with pest proofing methods?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

You can try to caulk, etc., but it won't eliminate them, although it may reduce their numbers.

I don't particularly like bugs either, but having someone come into my house to spray pesticides periodically would trouble me a lot more than living with some bugs. When you regularly spray inside, you significantly increase your long term exposure to the potentially serious side effects of these toxic chemicals. I don't care what the pesticide applicator says about safety or that the chemicals are approved for use by EPA...it doesn't mean these products are benign.

I spent most of my career involved with pesticides and other toxic compounds. I'm not a tree-hugging environmentalist, but I've learned enough to avoid any unnecessary exposure. I've seen cases where people were sickened by pesticides inside their houses, or had rashes or allergic reactions; and I know of one couple that died from a high level of spray done by an incompetent applicator. The long term effects, like cancer, are arguable, but the risks aren't zero. My personal belief is that there are enough risks in life without adding avoidable ones to the list.

Hope I'm not coming across as lecturing...I'm just trying to suggest that total bug control has some risks that you may want to consider.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 4:58PM
More Discussions
Pork Chop Return (aka Mutton Chop)
Has anyone successfully changed a pork chop dormer...
betsy031799
How to safely pull down attic stairs in 12' ceiling
Hello all, I am buying a house with 12' ceilings and...
ricewalker
Garage door
Something strange happened last night. We were watching...
hoganjr
Can you clear my doubt about home security system?
I have a home security system installed recently. Do...
jeckjiem
how did gap between floor and wall close up by itself?
I have hardwood floors and there is/was a spot at the...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Maya Teal Spill-Proof Indoor/Outdoor Tablecloth
$14.99 | zulily
Protect-A-Bed Twin Bug-proof Box Spring Encasement
Overstock.com
Elements Brook White Collection Chest
Beyond Stores
Best Quality Lighting Path & Landscape Lights LV50VRD Landscape Lighting Step
$55.50 | Home Depot
Small 2 Tier Corner Basket in Chrome Finish Bathroom Accessory
Hudson Reed