Repair/Repoint 130 y.o. brick or drywall?

amh2949November 15, 2010

I have several areas in my home with exposed brick. The brick and mortar appear to be original to the 1880, row home. We want to try to preserve as much of the historic character of the house, but I know this is bigger than a DIY job since I know that the mortar needs to be matched for composition etc. The bricks themselves are badly deteriorated, so I am not sure if repointing is an option. Regardless something MUST be done, the wall is literally falling apart. Should I pay to have it repaired? If so does anyone know about how much it would cost? Should I look into brick veneer like "BrickIt", or should I just cover it with sheetrock/drywall?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainegrower

It's not clear from your post if the brick is entirely inside or a part of the exterior brick wall. In any case, just covering it up with sheetrock or anything else is likely to accelerate the deterioration. I would definitely consult a company or two or three that specializes in masonry restoration to see what they say. This is not a DIY project and is likely to be expensive, but if the brick is a part of the house's structural support system you really don't have many options.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 5:40AM
More Discussions
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
media529
concrete over concrete?
I have filled the space under my front door threshold...
robinasq
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
martin-ferdinand
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™