Difficulty with e-z anchor, now have large hole in wall

adam211November 7, 2010

Greetings all,

I live in a small apartment and am trying to hang a few things up (specifically, shelves and a small jewelery cabinet).

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about this sort of thing, but being told that screws in walls are generally insufficient for this sort of thing I attempted to screw in some plastic ez-anchors.

I didn't drill a pilot hole and it went in well, but it never really tapped into the wall and the threads just created a large hole rather than actually ever tapping in. Now even if I apply a large force with a hang screwdriver I can't get it to finish going in and it never sits flush with the wall. That is, it went in a little ways, created a large hole, and won't finish going in. It's like it hit a hard spot in the wall and the threads just turned around and around in one spot creating a nice sized hole.

If it's helpful a closet is on the other side of this wall--it's an inside wall.

I guess I can probably figure out how to just stick some spackle in and cover it up, but I still want to hang up my items! Do I have the wrong wall materials for these?

Here are some pictures if it helps:

Thanks!

Adam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

I'm not an expert, but it sounds to me like you hit a stud.

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 11:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hendricus

If you did hit a stud try putting a nail in that hole. If the nail goes in and is strong enough to hold what you want you are all done. If not, try a screw. Patch the hole and still go with a nail or screw.

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 11:29AM
More Discussions
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™