What am I doing wrong with hemming these shorts

debbiep_gwAugust 3, 2010

I'm trying to hem a pair of shorts on the sewing machine.Actually they were a pair of pants that I cut off and I am trying to hem them.Material is cotton.I've gotton one leg completed and it looks fine and I've ripped out the other leg twice so far.I've turned the hem up and pressed with the iron before starting.The material wants to pucker halfway through the hemming on this leg.How to correct or what am I doing wrong?I know a little about sewing but not enough I guess.TIA...Debbie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

The material was probably not cut on straight grain on that leg. It was cut more toward the bias. As you are sewing you are probably stretching the cuff so it puckers. Now that you have it pressed, run a basting stitch along the top of the hem--right through the hem and leg. Then go back and do your hemming. Remove the basting when you are finished. Be careful not to pull the material. If you have to leave a small gap on the turned up hem side between stitches. This will iron out later.

Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 3:43PM
carolb_w_fl

You don't say which is puckering, the hem or the leg area. The side seams might be a bit more tapered on the 2nd leg - that would make the hemmed edge shorter than the part you're trying to attach it to, or vice versa. If the leg area is puckering, you might be able to open the side seam enough to add the extra length you need, & if the hem is puckering, you can run a line of stitching along it & ease it in to fit.

HTH

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 10:11AM
debbiep_gw

Actually I'm not sure which was causing it.I do feel it was something to do with cutting them not straight perhaps.Anyway I took the hem out of the other leg and hemmed them by hand and had no problems.

Bookmark   August 11, 2010 at 11:37AM
More Discussions
Newbie Needle Question
How do you know it is time for a new needle? And, the...
Merrygardener
a cutting table surface perhaps using foam
i'm creating my own pinnable cutting table with a 4X8...
mineemee
Need help with buttons on my first re-upholstery job
I am attempting to re-cover the cushions on my lawn...
Lea Grabb
bernina activa 131
Hi, There is a Bernina Activa 131 that has come up...
melaniejo
pls help, Brother needle bar question
Hi There, I bet this will be an easy fix for one of...
amandalynn
Sponsored Products
Christopher Knight Home Stanford Brown Leather Dining Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Warm Screen Shade Pendant by Vibia
$2,005.00 | Lumens
Junction Dining Table
$699.99 | Dot & Bo
Florence Style Loft Leather Sofa in Black
$999.00 | LexMod
Robert Sonneman Tuxedo 5 Light Pendant Bar Chandelier
Euro Style Lighting
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LR Resources Rugs Dazzle Beige/Coal 8 ft. x 10
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™