Replacing header

frontNovember 4, 2008

I need to replace the header over a sliding glass window. It spans 9 feet. The header is 4x10. The trimmer and king studs need to also be replaced. I'm debating on whether to tackle this job or not. The wall is a load bearing wall that holds up one end of a cathedral ceiling. The trusses are 2x8 and are cut at the top plate. It extends outside at a width of 4in for the outlook. I have a poured concrete slab patio outside. I would build a temporary wall outside to support the roof while doing the work. I could also build a temporary wall on the inside if that is the best method.

Also, if I contract this out, is it better to just hire a general contractor. He will only be subbing out the framing. I will do the rest (drywall and siding). I could call a framer/carpenter directly, but I'm having a hard time finding one in the phone book. It seems like they all work under GC's. Can someone give me a ball park figure on the cost to contract it out?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

From your description, I'm thinking that you're removing a window and putting in a door that's wider than the previous window. Is there any rot? Are there any electrical lines/plumbing that'll need to be re-routed?

If I understand the work, this isn't one of those rocket-science hard jobs, but if I were you, I'd want it completed quickly. That's why I'd suggest you use someone with a staff (say, 4 people minimum on the job: 2 carpenters, 1 laborer, 1 driver for materials/waste, plus maybe an electrician or plumber), rather that a one or two man carpentry outfit. That probably points to a GC. Sadly, those staff mean overhead, which means a higher cost for you, but in the big scheme of things it shouldn't be too awful.

I suspect that you'll only get an accurate price when someone looks at it.

    Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 7:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I would agree that it is not rocket science work. If you can do the siding / drywall work then it sounds like you have some skills. I would DIY. Think it through, take off the drywall so you can see everything prior to opening up to the elements, get all the material prior to starting, get a helper or two as the beam will be a handfull, and go for it.

As far as hiring out the framing part of it, I think you would pay more than you think as it sounds like a pretty small job for a framer, especially with you wanting to finish it. I would think that would fall under some minimum bid thing with a big chunk of the cost going to pay for the contractor to get material

    Bookmark   November 7, 2008 at 7:39PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
Asbestos in Popcorn Ceiling/ worried sick
Hi. My house was built in the late 60s and I recently...
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™