Making Bridal Veil

donnas_gwAugust 9, 2014

Posted this below under "Making a bridal veil": We purchased tulle. Extra in case I needed it. I made a short veil last week with a narrow trim sewn all around the edge. Was not satisfied with the trim and that is my fault. I bought 3 spools of narrow scalloped lace with small white beads, resembling pearls. The beads are a continuous string of beads all the way down the center of the narrow lace.

There was only 2 yards of this lace per spool, and 2 yards is only going to go so far around the edge of a veil. Because of the small beads, I had no idea how to sew 2 strings of this lace together to make 1 long piece of lace. That probably would not have looked right either because I probably would have stretched the width of the lace trying to do so.

All I knew how to do was turn the beginning edge of the 2nd spool of lace under about 1/4" and place it over top of the end of the 1st spool that I had already applied, and keep sewing. I couldn't do that well enough so that where the 2 pieces of lace met would not be noticeable.

I'm only using one layer of tulle. Should I have done a rolled hem around the edges? (I didn't since I knew tulle would not ravel). I do have a serger, but haven't practiced doing the rolled hem yet. From what I'm understanding, the rolled edge is only done if you want to use 2 layers of tulle to make the veil.

I didn't use the above pattern. I found a bridal veil tutorial online and used that instead. It didn't take long to make. The most time consuming was sewing that lace on and getting the edges of lace/tulle even and trying to start the new string of lace. So....I'm going to try making another veil.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnas_gw

Don't know why I even bother to post on here. Just disregard this and any of my posts

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 2:26PM
buteau3rd

Use a scrap of tulle for a backing.......... and use glue... butt the two ends of lace together....cut away excess tulle....voila! hardly noticeable.
Worked in a bridal for 10 years.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 11:23PM
Annie Deighnaugh

Since it doesn't ravel, do you need an edging at all? Though edging with a serger should be fairly easy...

You could use a sealer like fray check to seal the edges of the lace and cut them in such a way that they will just meet without raveling.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 8:37AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Regarding why post here, well you asked a question 4 months ago which several of us replied to without any response from you. Then 4 months later you reappear and are unhappy that you didn't get an immediate response?

Please. This forum is not a very busy one, but when people do stop by, they do try to be helpful. It would be helpful if you, as the OP, did at least acknowledge our replies so we know if they were received.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 8:42AM
More Discussions
Newbie Needle Question
How do you know it is time for a new needle? And, the...
Merrygardener
questions about sewing lipped cord onto draperies
I am sewing drapery panels that will have a 2 foot...
lsst
altering pants
When I take in the legs of pants, I take in both seams...
laurenjay
Should I buy this old Singer?
... Can you tell me how I find when it was made? It's...
caroline94535
Pleating help
Hello all. It's been a while since I asked a question...
cloybaby
Sponsored Products
17 x 13 Professional End Grain Cutting Board with Feet - 1814
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Circle Abstract Silver 9 ft. 3
Home Depot
Brown Marble Bathroom trough sink + faucet hole - QUEBEC
Living'ROC
Beveled Arcs Six-Light Chandelier in Warm Muted Silver Leaf Finish
Bellacor
Matthews Fan Company | Kaye Wall Fan
$344.25 | YLighting
Utopia 2x4 Surface Mount Parabolic, 3 x 32W T8, 18 Cell, Single Ballast, 120/277
LBC Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™