Spring preview this weekend

columbiascJanuary 30, 2011

One of the nice things about living in the South is that you get the occassional warm up smack in the middle of winter. This weekend was like that. Two weeks ago we had ice and snow. Yesterday and today we had temps in the low 70's. I spent just about the entire weekend outside and have the rosy nose (and clean truck) to prove it. We've had some forsythia bloom here and there and if you look close you can see the first and over-eager bulbs popping up to take a peek. Before you know it we'll get another cold blast that sends us back inside in search of warmth but it was a great preview of things to come in about another 6 weeks! To me, that is the start of the new year, not some random day on a calender but the day the plants wake up start smiling again.

Scott

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marti8a

Here too. Lovely weekend, and my daffodils have had green shoots for a couple of weeks. And now ice is in the forecast for Tuesday

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 10:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Moccasin

Scott, glad to see you posting. There is a new thread about a 120 sq ft house being built, just a link to the blogspot for progress. But thought about you.

It's been close to 70 here for two days I think, but we've had lots of rain overnight and drizzling all day. All I have blooming outdoors are the camellias. Indoors, my potted bougainvillea is showing green/white flowers, the begonia is gorgeous. The berries on the asparagus fern are bright red. Outdoors, the newly planted big blueberry bushes are showing fat buds which means they like the new space they are in. Hope the produce this year.

And DH was wielding the sawzall to the old huge azalea bushes that covered our back forty. By the time I got home from the doctor, he had sawzed them down to a nub, and our new strip of land is looking big and rich with black dirt. And three young pecan trees. I cannot wait to move all my aspedistra (cast iron plants) around the perimeter so our dachshund girl won't be tempted to dig under the fence. I am a lover of mostly greenery if it has a tropical feel, and can do without blossoms with a few exceptions. Our springs are so short, it doesn't pay to plant many things for a spring show....too short lived.

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 7:17PM
More Discussions
Getting older and keeping up
Just reading Stephs recent post about getting help...
kitykat
Mama Goose - a question?
Hi Mama, I saw in one of your posts that you have painted...
idie2live
upper shelves in kitchen
Ok I am having someone make me some upper shelves in...
agmss15
Help for me coming soon...
My family and friends have been praying for that all...
desertsteph
I've lost interest in this project
The decorating forum said I needed a colored carpet...
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™