Found a Bernina 830 - some newbie questions

marc_frickAugust 16, 2008

Hi everyone, Well I just found a Bernina 830, my dad managed to get it 'bent back into shape' OK, it's been 20+ years since I used a sewing machine.... I found a copy of the manual from Bernina's website, bought replacement needles ( I promptly broke the one on the machine :) A few questions, I know this machine can use a variety of different feet, how important are they? Can I get by with whatever foot is on the machine? I would like to try to do some decorative stiching eventually..

All I know is that the machine seems to work, I have done some simple straight and zig-zag stitches...

Any ideas for websites for beginner sewers?

Many Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathi_mdgd

It depends on what you want to do!! A zipper foot is a must if you ever plan on putting in a zipper.
If i were you,using the manual as a guide,i'd get all the feet that originally came with it,as those are the basic ones if you plan on doing any sewing.If you're not going to be using it,but just want to have it for the sake of having it,then i wouldn't jump in and buy anything.
Only you know what your plans are.

There are places on line to get free patterns,for crafts,and lots of places to ask questions etc.Patternreview.com is one of them.Just google sewing,and you'll come up with several sites.
Good luck.Oh and that's a great machine you got!!!
Kathi

Bookmark   August 16, 2008 at 5:41PM
marc_frick

Thanks for the advice! Well, I definately will be doing some sewing... Hmm, the manual just lists all of the feet and thier uses, not very helpful. For now, I'll just practice a bit, and see what feet I might need. I really should have paid more attention in Home Ec class all those years ago :)

And yes, it's an awesome machine, I really can't believe someone threw it out...

Marc

Bookmark   August 18, 2008 at 7:10AM
susancnw

I'm so jealous. Do you min dif I ask where you got it and what you paid for it?

Susan (green with envy)

Bookmark   August 19, 2008 at 4:21PM
marc_frick

Susancnw: Truth is, I found it on the curb, to be Thrown Away. So, I got it locally (half a block away from my house) Price: free... A thread guide was a bit bent up, my dad fixed it in about 10 minutes, so I finally got me a sewing machine!
(still have to figure out how to do those decorative stiches, though)

Marc

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 9:29AM
hattrick

Marc, Be sure to buy the correct bobbins. The owners of the store where I bought my 830 and take it for cleaning and tune ups told me that if you just use any bobbin that will fit in, it will damage the machine over time. There are two kinds that I know are OK, the ones that came with the machine originally and the ones Bernina makes to replace those.

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
Small washcloths
I am fussy about big terrycloth washcloths that are...
barb_roselover_in
Should I buy this old Singer?
... Can you tell me how I find when it was made? It's...
caroline94535
questions about sewing lipped cord onto draperies
I am sewing drapery panels that will have a 2 foot...
lsst
Dog house pattern
Does anyone have or know where I can find a pattern/instruction...
josephene_gw
Cost estimate to shorten two curtains
Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to have...
vithdude
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™