Question about school clothes.

djsawAugust 14, 2010

What are some options for hemming jeans? My daughter is short and her jeans are a good 4 inches longer than she needs. Last year I cut them off and frayed some, or I added a pretty fabric to the bottom but by the end of the school year she had grown so much they looked horrible. I was wondering if there were any other choices. I did cuff a few but as I washed and dryed them throughout the year they creased and I couldn't get the crease out when I let them out.

I was also wondering if anyone knew of a website where they restyle clothes. I was given several dresses for my daughter from my aunt and to put it kindly they would have been rejects even for the 80s, but the fabric is pretty. I would really like to get some ideas to restyle the dresses.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

I like your idea of the fabric--or even wide ribbon at the bottom. Try this to cover up the crease line that forms there.

I wouldn't cut them off. I'd cut off the hem and turn them up towards the right side of the jeans, the same width as the bottom trim. You will have the fold at the bottom. When she outgrows them, take off the trim and sew it to the raw edge at the bottom and it should cover the crease line that's there. A nice addition would be a scarf belt to match.

You can cuff them like you did and when you let them down then put a couple of rows of narrow ribbon on the bottom. One of which will go right on the crease line.

As for the dresses--

I don't know of any websites, but maybe this will help.

Look in pattern book to find a similar style of dress and see how you can alter them. If they are too big maybe you can cut them down by putting the new pattern on top of the dress pieces. If they are patterned, you can pick a color that's in it make a bodice out new plain material, or vise versa.

That's a few ideas--maybe someone else can come up with more

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 1:36AM
carolb_w_fl

You should be able to find lots of sites about recycling, upcycling & repurposing old clothes - it's pretty popular these days. I know ThreadBanger.com has lots of tutorials for sewing new apparel from old. & CRAFTzine.com provides links to so many great projects & tutorials. Try putting 'dress' into their search windows & see how many results you get.

Also try searching 'upcycled clothing','recycled clothing', 'recycled sewing tutorial', etc. on a general search engine.

Here's a site that was the 1st hit when I searched 'upcycled clothing'...

P.S. You might find some cool ideas for jeans as well. HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Crafting a Green World

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 9:13AM
blitzyblond_protege

let your daughter find a Sharpie that matches the exact color of her faded, let-down jeans and then she can just color away the white line that tells they were hemmed in the first place. Test the idea on an old pair she may have now, if she's satisfied, you're in like Flin.

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 12:27AM
More Discussions
bernina activa 131
Hi, There is a Bernina Activa 131 that has come up...
melaniejo
Drop feed dogs or cover?
Would not having feed dogs that drop, but instead having...
hobby_libby
Need help with buttons on my first re-upholstery job
I am attempting to re-cover the cushions on my lawn...
Lea Grabb
Upper Thread will not pick up Bobbin Thread.
Hi, I have a Brother XL3100 and the upper thread will...
sweetnlow
Singer toy sewing machine question
Hi, I have a Singer Sewhandy toy electric sewing machine...
philanna273
Sponsored Products
Dodu Bed by Blu Dot
$1,399.00 | Lumens
Align Upholstered Corner Sofa in Azure
$619.00 | LexMod
Set of 12 Sunny Day Wine Charms
$34.50 | FRONTGATE
66" x 86" Oblong Cloth
$122.90 | Horchow
Hasburg 31 1/2" High Rectangular Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Metropolitan Dining Chair
Grandin Road
AICO Furniture - Oppulente Dresser and Mirror Set in Sienna Spice...
Great Furniture Deal
Stainless Steel Bathroom Retractable Clothes Line
TheBathOutlet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™