Can I Paint Over Easysand JC?

chipster_2007November 24, 2011

I just finished patching some areas on walls in the bathroom using easysand. Do I need to put a skim coat of all purpose jc over the repaired areas before priming /painting or can I just sand, prime and paint over the easysand. I read somewhere, where the finish of the easysand after painting does not look as good as an area that has been skim coated with all purpose joint compound. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

can I just sand, prime and paint over the easysand.

Yes

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 4:37AM
snoonyb

Joint compound or standard topping will result in a more durable surface.

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 8:56AM
chipster_2007

Thank You.

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 9:26AM
sombreuil_mongrel

Easysand is quite a bit harder (more durable, by definition) than drying-type muds, so I would have to take exception with the last post.
It's fine to paint as long as it's a) fully dry and b) been wiped down with a wet sponge to remove the sanding dust.
Casey

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 10:16AM
sierraeast

For a perfect job, skimcoating the entire wall after patching and feathering out the repair areas will give you a consistent finish with the paint. No matter what compound
you use, the patched repairs are going to differ from the existing surface and will show. Skimcoating is a practiced art so if youare looking for professional results, get a reputable finisher to skim coat for you. Then after it has cured fully, you can primer followed by two finish coats.

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 10:24AM
brickeyee

"Joint compound or standard topping will result in a more durable surface."
Easysand (a setting type joint compound) beasts pre-mixed mud in just about every application.

Prime and paint.

Easyand will actually soak up less water than pre-mixed mud.

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 3:23PM
snoonyb

"Easysand is quite a bit harder (more durable, by definition) than drying-type muds, so I would have to take exception with the last post. "

So, other than facilitating a shorter time between coats, its preferable to use "easy sand" over conventional compounds?

And the term "east sand" would originate from which condition of the setting compound?
Could it be that it is easier to sand than conventional setting compounds or conventional drying compounds?
Because its softer?

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 9:15PM
brickeyee

Durabond preceded Easysnd on the market.

It is as hard as actual plaster, and a PITA to even attempt to sand.

Easysand allows for the lower skill of drywall finishers (compared to plaster finishers that do not sand) to use a faster setting compound.

On a large job it does not have much advantage since by the time you get around to needing a second coat enough time has elapsed for setting of the pre-mix, and you need to mix the setting compound.

On a smaller job the shorter setting time allows faster re-coat without the longer setting time of pre-mix.

Overall it is a better material for hardness and durability.
Unlike setting compound it does not soften with water after setting, but behaves much more like a real plaster product.

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 10:10AM
brickeyee

Unlike pre-mix setting compound does not soften with water after setting, but behaves much more like a real plaster product.

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 9:56AM
bus_driver

My best results at painting patched places is to sand, prime the patch and let it dry thoroughly. Then lightly sand the primer and prime again. Then after that dries, paint.

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Asbestos in Popcorn Ceiling/ worried sick
Hi. My house was built in the late 60s and I recently...
mogley966
concrete over concrete?
I have filled the space under my front door threshold...
robinasq
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™