Can I stitch vinyl fabric for a curtain?

deborahmc52July 24, 2010

I saw the vinyl questions, this is thinner fabric, no backing, from Joanns, to use to cover contents of some bookcases..we lost our room at school and need to cover our exposed supplies..should I maybe put ribbon, or some hemming stuff?? lol I never use that and can't think of the name of it..and larger stitches so the fabric wont tear over time? Found some very vibrant fun fabric..thanks! Will be asking more questions I'm sure..have been sewing like MAD this summer school vaca..:>)

Debbie in Melb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

I wouldn't attempt to sew vinyl. Every time the needle goes through vinyl it would create a hole leaving the seam weak and liable to tear. What I would do is glue with a glue for vinyl. I'd glue a strip of cardboard to the edge of the vinyl, fold it over a few times and glue again and then punch holes in the top and attach shower curtain hooks to be threaded on a rod.

Better yet --Buy shower curtains at the dollar store. I buy mine there for $2. They are quite servicable and come in quite a few colors. If you don't like them plain the decorate them with glued on ribbon

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 2:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnar57

As the school music teacher, last year I inherited a cabinet whose doors had fallen off and the wood was stripped. That meant the doors could not be put back on. Since there's a Sunday School class that meets in my room, I wanted to keep them out of that cabinet, so here's what I did:

I bought a cafe curtain rod of the correct size at Home Depot, and nailed it carefully to the cabinet top front. Then I made some long cotton curtains (music print, of course) to hang from that rod. It's worked to keep people out of my supply cabinet.

Another challenge I had was to keep those same people out of my large xylophones and metallophones. So I made covers out of $2/yard fabric. That has another plus: it keeps the dust off!

Donna

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 10:12PM
More Discussions
sewing curtain that has print on one side
I wanted to make curtain that have the print side on...
tropical_thought
Keeping the tredal cabinet, swapping the machine (does not fit)
We have an Eldredge treadle machine and it's rusty...
archangel2003
Singer Inspiration 4210 Feed Dogs do not move
I have a new Singer Inspiration 4210 that I bought...
MaterialGirl47
Don't want to mess this up Please Help!
I'm wanting to make a doll for my granddaughter using...
skyanne_9
Roll call please
Just wondering how many of us made the change to Houz. Would...
kathyg_in_mi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™