my tension wheel is not releasing

melissafitzJuly 14, 2009

i'm having trouble with my singer (old model...). i think it's a tension issue -- it certainly originates with the tension wheel. basically, when i finish a seam, put the needle in the highest position and lift the foot, the thread doesn't pull out like it should. the tension is set appropriately but it seems the tension mechanism is looser than usual (and with 3 kids under 5 running around, loose sewing machine parts are very likely...).

anyway, i'm planning on taking it to my local repair shop but if you guys have any insight in doing some home repair, i'd appreciate it.

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
budster

Is there any bits of lint anywhere around the dial? If there are discs the thread goes between perhaps there is something caught there. On my mother's old Singer 401 she had tightened the screw that held the mechanism on so tight you couldn't get the thread to feed. Is there any screw to tighten or loosen? Give your library a call and ask for a book on machine repair I have used a good one called "How to adjust and repair your own sewing machine " by Arthur W. Smith (amazon has it - but I borrowed mine from the library) It is wonderful and gives parts and numbers of many older machines..and is worth a look at. Request it from another library if nothing else. A trip to the repair place may happen anyway, but I'd delay until seeing if you can locate a book or someone else comes up with a suggestion. Budster

Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 7:52PM
melissafitz

thank you so much for the info! i'm going to go dig up my manual and futz around with it this evening.
there's not a great deal of lint, but i've got a dust remover for my computer (pressurized air thing) that i'm going to use to clean out any excess. there is a screw but i'm hesitant to fool with it b/c i know that wasn't messed with before. anyway, i'll check if my library has that book and will see what i can do.

thanks again!

Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 8:33PM
debs3

Does the stitching in your seam look okay?

When you say the "thread doesn't pull out like it should", is it very easy to pull or very difficult?

Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 10:18PM
noinwi

Sometimes the height of the needle will affect the release of the thread. Raise the needle to the highest point when you've finished and see if it helps.

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 3:07PM
kathyg_in_mi

Are you pulling toward the back of the machine? That makes all the difference in my machines.
Kathy G in MI

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
sewing machine about to die?
I have to admit I have had quite a few problems all...
jjjjade H
bernina activa 131
Hi, There is a Bernina Activa 131 that has come up...
melaniejo
kenmore 12511 machine woth cleaning and keeping?
My daughter has become interested in sewing. I have...
kellim45
Can you tell me if this will work?
Since I have been socked in for four days now, have...
barb_roselover_in
a cutting table surface perhaps using foam
i'm creating my own pinnable cutting table with a 4X8...
mineemee
Sponsored Products
Edge Vinyl Office Chair in Brown
$140.00 | LexMod
Area Rug: Caprice Collection Concrete 8' x 10'
Home Depot
Botanical Leaf Ring Catch
$69.00 | Horchow
Chrome Traditional Dual Thermostatic Shower Valve Faucet Round Plate
Hudson Reed
Hudson Valley Lighting | Naugatuck 3 Light Island Pendant
YLighting