Load bearing?

EatYourYardNovember 18, 2012

Hello,

I'm guessing this isn't load bearing, but I wanted an opinion before I brought someone out to look at it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tjdabomb

Is that "post" hollow? Is it just a soffet? That "post" doesn't go all the way to a beam under the roof, right?

At first glance, it doesn't look to be load bearing, not in the correct/traditional sense. If this is bearing a load, the load would be borne on the fasteners and not the top of the beam, which, would be correct.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 5:02PM
kudzu9

I agree that it does not look to be loadbearing in the traditional sense, but it looks like it is holding something up...like the end of a beam. Can you explain better what is going on in that picture? That post looks like a somewhat oddly installed detail. If it is at all functional, I'm not sure it would pass inspection.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 4:22AM
sdello

if you don't know the purpose of that post, then you need to bring someone out there who can decioher it. Given the position, (pvc water lines behind it), it's geometry (long and slender), and the fact that the top connection is eccentric, if it's carrying load it's not carrying much. I'd say the reason for its existence needs to be understood before monkeying with it at all.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 9:14AM
sdello

EatYourYard: Any more info abouth this setup? It's always nice to see a followup to these odd situations.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
rachelep
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
deandiamond
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™