Stairs Before or After Tile ??

wrldrulerNovember 14, 2008

Hello,

Converting my garage into a family room. A portion of the room will be ceramic tile flooring. I have a 18" drop from the existing kitchen into the room, and need a small set of stairs.

Should I have the stairs built first and then install the ceramic tile? Or should I install the ceramic tile first and lay the stairs on top?

At first, I figured the stairs go first, and you make the first rise 3/4" higher to account for the backer / grout / tile height. But then I found out the town inspector is a stair nazi (after he failed my outside stairs), and he allows only 3/8" height difference between one step and the next. If something goes wrong with the tile, I am worried the first step will be +/- 3/8" from the next step, and I will have to rebuild.

So then I figured I would have the tile put down first, and then I would know for sure what the tile height was. But then I may be forced to screw down into the tile.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cloudcrasher

Not really a right or wrong way for this, but ususally, the tile would be done last. Normally you don't want to be doing any builing or framing once the finished floor is down. Tiling first, gives you the option of a design change later on...and not having to worry about matching tile. The stairs could be built outside and then bolted into place. If the inspector is that fussy, I would ask ahead of time on the MAXIMUM rise allowed in your state.

Bookmark   November 14, 2008 at 2:26PM
joed

I would tile first. Makes it easier to tile not having to cut around stairs.
3/8" is quite a big difference for stairs. They should be more acurrate than that.

Bookmark   November 14, 2008 at 2:28PM
squirrelheaven

A tile man told me tile is always last. Damage can be done when other construction is in process. Problems can also result due to shifts/movement in the tile substrate as a result of other work that's going on, not just dropping tools or other mishaps.

Bookmark   November 14, 2008 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™