help with square neck peasant blouse

tempusflitsJuly 15, 2011

Hi,

I found instructions on the Web for drafting a square neck peasant blouse, but the article doesn't say how to insert the elastic. My current pattern uses a bias tape casing to hold the elastic on my curved neck peasant blouse. But that neck shows way too much skin for a woman my age. If I make a square neckline, I can't visualize how to make the casing to hold the elastic.

Any and all help welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pris

Have you thought about 4 strips of elastic? Casing over each shoulder and across the front and back bodice. Your casing would be mitered where it meets at the shoulders or not. Whichever is easiest for you. Insert the elastic, sew the ends down and viola. Square neckline.

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 12:39PM
tempusflits

Thank you. I'd thought of four pieces of elastic, but not of sewing them together and then inserting them in a casing. I couldn't get past the idea of them anchored at each end with the thread showing then on the outside. No wonder there weren't any instructions for elastic. Dead easy unless brain dead. Thanks again.

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 5:52AM
noinwi

Can you permanently gather the front and back sections and just put elastic in the shoulder sections?

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 12:51PM
pris

Four pieces anchored at each end is exactly what needs to be done. There is no reason to have four pieces if you're not going to do that and no reason to cut up the elastic and sew it back together again. You can blind stitch the ends down so that it doesn't show. At any rate, you'll have to sew down the casing openings where you insert the elastic which is going to mean some thread possibly showing. OR,

You could make your casings before putting the blouse together, insert the elastic (4 pieces) anchoring each end of the elastic in the seam allowance. Sew your blouse pieces together and face the backside with either matching fabric or bias tape to cover any raw edges at the neckline.

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
The little Singer 15- made her way home today!
I went back to the Thrift Store and asked the clerk...
caroline94535
Great show...fit2stitch
I just started watching fit 2 stitch with Peggy Sagers...
Annie Deighnaugh
Can you tell me if this will work?
Since I have been socked in for four days now, have...
barb_roselover_in
Newbie Needle Question
How do you know it is time for a new needle? And, the...
Merrygardener
oval cape
I recently saw a BEAUTIFUL cape made of oatmeal sherpa...
mommalin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™