Help needed for instructions to assist me with my new machine.

vickster257July 11, 2011

When I begin to sew, a few stitches are taken and then it freezes up and in checking, the thread under the plate is bunched and looped across the bobbin. I cannot determine whether I have inserted the bobbin incorrectly but it has happened for the past two weeks and am unable to correct the problem.

It is a Singer machine model 4423 heavy duty and it sewed fine and I am using thread to sew upholstery fabric into cushion covers for porch furniture. I sewed one so far and didn't have any problem. I had a very old machine which was 50 years old so I am a novice with this one so I need very basic directions. I made sure that the machine is threaded properly but what else could be causing all of the thread bunching up around and across the bobbin that it won't let me sew. After taking two or three stitches, it stops sewing.

Can you explain what I should check again, please.

Thank you. Vicki

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pris

Sounds like your bottom tension is too loose (or top tension too tight) or both. Did you get a manual? If so check out the instructions for adjusting your tension. If you don't have the manual, google Singer Manual and see if you can locate one. I lost mine and for a nominal fee I downloaded a replacement, printed it out and it is now stored with my machine.

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 8:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cooksnsews

Some machines do tend to tangle and jam threads unless you firmly hold the thread tails behind your work when you start a seam.

Are you using upholstery thread that is significantly heavier than all-purpose thread? And does this machine have a drop-in bobbin? Machines with this style of bobbin are much less forgiving of thread type than vertical hook machines. Also, many types of upholstery thread are not be suitable for use in home machines, and would produce the kind of symptoms you are describing.

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
Small washcloths
I am fussy about big terrycloth washcloths that are...
barb_roselover_in
Pleating help
Hello all. It's been a while since I asked a question...
cloybaby
Need help identifying a fabric brand please.
This is a pretty upholstery fabric.
Adria Jackson
Sewing Plus Size Clothing
Does anybody here sew plus size clothing for re-sale?...
catsoup
Roll call please
Just wondering how many of us made the change to Houz. Would...
kathyg_in_mi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™