lattice fence with white cedar posts

rain-riNovember 1, 2013

Hello,

In Rhode Island. Windy location. 7 ft by 6 ft L shaped lattice trellis/fence. Clay/rock soil.

Should we have the posts placed in the hole with cement?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdello

I believe that in RI, just like in MA you want your fence posts sunk below the frost line, so the answer is yes. Use Sonatube and go at least 3-4ft deep and set them in concrete.

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 2:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
akamainegrower

The 3 to 4 foot depth may be needed for corner posts or those on either side of a gate, especially in an extremely windy location, but is excessive for the line posts. Two feet in the ground is enough. The usual recommendation is to tamp the bottom of the holes well, then add a minimum of six inches of gravel to the bottom for drainage. Concrete is then poured into the hole, tamped and the top sloped away from the posts to shed water.

You could, if you're really ambitious and love to dig holes, install Sonotubes and above ground hardware to hold the posts. This would give as close to a rot-proof installation as possible, but would require a lot of concrete and a huge excavation project. Otherwise, Sonotubes are not needed at all. Pressure treated posts listed for ground contact and installed as indicated in the first paragraph above will last for a very long time.

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 5:54AM
More Discussions
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
media529
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™