1980's white/wood kitchen cabinets

lisamamotMay 4, 2013

We are considering a secondary residence condo purchase and all the condos in the area have the same 1980's white/wood kitchen cabinets. Has anyone successfully spiffed-up cabinets such as these?

We need to rip out all the carpet in the condo and would put down Pergo (it is a downstairs unit and that is permitted). In the kitchen, we would remove the linoleum and tile the floor, and will replace the counter. Hoping to not have a total gut if possible. Budget may not allow for new cabinets.

The condo we are considering is being sold unfurnished and I plan to decorate the space in a more contemporary manner with clean lines, fun colors, and inexpensive industrial type lighting.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mpagmom

When I lived in a house like that (twenty years ago fortunately) we looked at putting new doors on the cabinets. Others would know how expensive it is, but it shouldn't be that much. You could also price replacing with Ikea cabinets. That would certainly give you some clean lines/fun colors options.

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 11:33AM
islanddevil

Agree resurface, new doors and drawer fronts.

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 12:27PM
smaloney

Our house had those cabinets when we moved in 10 years ago; I refaced them myself because I couldn't stand them. Back then I was even more clueless than I am now, I ordered white MDF doors thru Home Depot. Now I would order something much nicer thru Barker Doors or Scherrs. That was my first DIY project, I literally bought a drill and used it for the first time! And I had a 6m old at the time. Still, it held up for 10 years and hopefully will be replaced soon with a total gut renovation.

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
Sexist or Fun?
Trouble from young feminists over this billboard.
Joseph Corlett, LLC
Granite Countertop seam question
I have a new construction house on contract. The granite...
sega_102
Reviews for 'Steel' Ascot freestanding ovens
Hi, does anyone have the above Italian made range in...
suenuts
Prep sink location
After a lot of talking on another thread, I took sena01...
Jennifer Weinman
KitchenCraft - will they last a lifetime?
Fell in love with a specific painted door when cruising...
lookintomyeyes83
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™