New College = New bed size: Twin to XL

passport4vickiJuly 9, 2009

Last year I bought a very nice fitted mattress topper for a twin size mattress. DD's new college has XL mattresses. I would like to find a way to add 5 inches to length. One thought is to buy a fitted XL sheet and sew the topper to it. Has anyone tried to make adjustments to make fitted sheets to fit XL mattresses? She also has 2 sheet sets I would love to use again (instead of purchasing new ones again).

I think the measurements are:

Twin fitted - 39" x 80"

XL Twin fitted - 39" x 80"

I beleive the flat sheets sizes are the sames for both twin and XL twin: 85" x 105", so I should be able to reuse the flat sheets and comforter.

Thanks for any ideas

Vicki

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caflowerluver

I think you have a typo. Regular Twin fitted is 39 inches wide by 75 inches long. My son has an XL twin bed at home and I use 2 flat queen size sheets. It is one of those high top mattresses so needs the extra depth on the sides to tuck it in. I would just get new XL twin sheets if it the bed has a regular mattress. I don't know about using the old twin mattress topper. It would be short either at the head or feet because it is not an XL.

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 2:47PM
passport4vicki

Yes, I did have a typo.
The sizes I found online when looking at new fitted sheets:
Twin - 39 x 75
XL Twin - 39 x 80
The mattresses at colleges that I have seen are very thin, that is why she liked a topper.

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 4:20PM
lizzie2

I would just cut the fitted sheet somewhere near the bottom and add a piece 7" wide. 7" to allow for the seam allowances (4 times 5/8") and serge them together. How much deeper does the topper make the mattress than the other way? That would be a pain to adjust for. I got my dd college bedding on clearance; her college started 3 weeks after the big "state" college did and I was lucky to get the jersey bedding for under $4.00. Hope this helps

Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
Newbie Needle Question
How do you know it is time for a new needle? And, the...
Merrygardener
Can I add another layer to drapes?
Howdy folks! I came across a GREAT deal at a resale...
carsonheim
Should I buy this old Singer?
... Can you tell me how I find when it was made? It's...
caroline94535
a place to order
My family room has windows all around . It is nice...
barb_roselover_in
Anyone use Singer Touch 'n' Sew?
My Singer is one of the old Touch 'n' Sew's from about...
socks
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™