Foundation just repaired - what is normal damage afterwards?

mlraff53November 14, 2013

Hi all, I live in Houston and just had our foundation repaired. The house has been settling one way or the other for years but last year's drought was too much. We only had a tiny crack on the sheet rock but when we pulled up carpet to remodel we noticed a huge crack on the slab. So after alot of research decided on Atlas Foundation and the work was done this week.
My question is how much damage from the repair is normal?
Our house is two story. One corner of the house (which wasn't really jacked up as much as the rest of the house) had some cracks on the wall downstairs and lots of cracks upstairs (around doors and windows).
The problem that worries me the most is the flooring upstairs somehow pushed up. Not the actual floor but the subfloor (the plywood sheets).
I have a small mound in the entrance to my master bath.
Is this something to expect?
Should I hire a structural engineer?

All the doors that didn't close before now work perfectly.
But the door in that bathroom (the area with all the problems) now of course doesn't close...at all.

Overall I'm happy with the job but the cracks, floor mounds and hollow sounds under my wood floor downstairs is a little strange.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Your soil conditions are very different from my area. I have no experience with the process used on your house but believe that you gave an excellent description of the present conditions. Based on the description of most of the doors, I believe that the contractors did an excellent job. The problems you now experience probably result from warping and twisting of the previous uneven settling. They may go back more toward original position over the next several months as the house adjusts to the new situation. But loose stuff will not self-correct. I suggest waiting 6 months before dealing with those issues if your situation permits. Some of it may get better without additional help. My non-expert opinion. Good luck.

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 7:59PM
More Discussions
Where to purchase Spanish roof tiles? I just need 2 pieces.
One handyman came to my house to evaluate the price...
janesylvia
Garage door
Something strange happened last night. We were watching...
hoganjr
Sagging Anderson Storm Door
I had an Anderson storm door installed a couple of...
gridgedad
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
stoveguyy
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
storyta
Sponsored Products
Rug Padding & Grippers: American Slide-Stop Padding All-Surface Thin Profile 5
$34.97 | Home Depot
Unique 8'x11' Peach High Kpsi Super Fine Gabbeh Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H6808
BH Sun Inc
Denim 600-Thread Count Reversible Sheet Set
$44.99 | zulily
Oushak Collection Chobi Quality 6'x9' Ivory Hand Knotted Wool Rug H7284
BH Sun Inc
Shades of Brown Checkered High Kpsi 9x10 Gabbeh Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H6911
BH Sun Inc
Mineral Spa Shampoo for Dogs
$14.50 | FRONTGATE
Virtu USA Bathroom Vincente 48 in. Single Basin Vanity in Espresso with Glass
Home Depot
Senbi Indoor Area Rug - 1'10" x 3'3"
Grandin Road
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™