Designing a sewing closet

wbgroovyJuly 9, 2013

I am beginning a new project and think the voices on this board can give me some good advice. I dabble in upholstery and have started to get a bit more serious. So I purchased a used PFAFF 145 H4 machine to handle heavy fabric. Now I need a place inside to keep this beast. I have a large closet--double louvered doors, about 6 X 3--that I am going to use to create a sewing closet. I would also like to tuck my Singer in there somewhere.

What are the must haves you guys would recommend?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
csackett

google sewing room ideas and see what others have done.
I took the doors off my closet in the sewing room and have bookshelves and plastic cabinets.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 6:46PM
Liddybuff

In working with upholstery you will need a fairly large work area around your machine. That's why I would suggest a sturdy table for your machine that could be on casters and rolled out of your closet when being used and rolled back inside when you are through. A shelf on the bottom of one side might be the place to store your Singer. Remember, of course, that it has to fit in the closet with the doors shut so the measurements will have to be right. Lots of shelves overhead would be nice for storing your supplies. Think about transparent storage bins for keeping all the loose stuff. Keep in mind the higher you go with shelves the lighter the weight of containers. (I found that out the hard way) Also organization is key. Label your containers and keep like items together to avoid plundering through things to find something. Don't forget the back of the doors where you could mount a bulletin board for notes and ideas. (If the doors are the swing out kind) Have fun.after-all it's whatever works best for you!

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 2:36PM
lazy_gardens

If it's a beast, make a roll-around cart for it that can roll up to your work table so you aren't lifting it.

Look at the way good workshops have the proper height work bench, and small carts that roll into position with the tool permanently mounted.

A place for hanging material, on rods for heavy stuff and hangers for dress weight. Or folded on shelves.
A place for your iron and board.

A corkboard for pinning up pattern instruction sheets and apttern pieces as you use them (my mom'strick).

As many shelves as you can fit in there, sized for some cheap brand of plastic storage: shoebox size and maybe a bit larger for the notions and threads. Take a cone with you when you buy boxes.

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 11:59AM
More Discussions
Newbie Needle Question
How do you know it is time for a new needle? And, the...
Merrygardener
The little Singer 15- made her way home today!
I went back to the Thrift Store and asked the clerk...
caroline94535
oval cape
I recently saw a BEAUTIFUL cape made of oatmeal sherpa...
mommalin
Sewing Plus Size Clothing
Does anybody here sew plus size clothing for re-sale?...
catsoup
Singer Inspiration 4210 Feed Dogs do not move
I have a new Singer Inspiration 4210 that I bought...
MaterialGirl47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™