Covering up a tile backsplash?

ChatsworthMay 17, 2013

The kitchen in the house we're buying has small 1/2" square tiles as the backsplash. Needless to say we hate it and would rather have something smooth and easy to clean BUT there's no room in the budget (ever) for doing anything in the kitchen except replacing the existing range/switching the OTR micro for a real range hood, and replacing the flooring. The cabinets and Corian counter are fine and will remain... we just REALLY hate the backsplash.

Btw, even though the pic makes it look as if the tile matches the countertop... it doesn't, in real life. The tiles are definitely yellow and the countertop is cream. The tiles are also the ONLY yellow thing in the room. Another reason for covering them up, LOL

Any suggestions for covering up the ugly tile with something smooth, thin and easily cleanable? We did look at those faux-metal backsplash panels that are supposed to look like antique pressed tin etc, but didn't like them at all.

Thin sheets of stainless steel maybe? applied with construction glue? Ripping out the backsplash wall/tile isn't an option, we would like a quick coverup if possible.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linelle

Why isn't ripping it out an option?

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 10:53AM
Holly- Kay

There is a fairly recent post about stainless steel back splash in a diamond pattern. It is lovely and quite affordable. The ss is also available with no pattern and also a few other patterns. The post should be on the first 3 to 4 pages here on GW. I wrote the web site down as I am keeping it for future reference. It is at home though and I won't be home until this evening.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 11:45AM
mama goose_gw zn6OH

You can use epoxy paint, mixed in a color to match the counter. It won't be completely smooth, but probably easier to clean, since the grout will be covered, too. Relatively inexpensive, and easy to change.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 12:44PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Removing it and replacing the tile is a relatively easy DIY project. Even if it damages the drywall and you have to replace it instead of patching it. It's not really that hard. And it's a cheap project to DIY.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 1:22PM
Chatsworth

Unfortunately, health/mobility issues rule out any DIY projects for either of us. :-(

Which means extra $$$ to have a contractor and/or tile guy do a ripout/replacement in addition to what he is already going to have to do. Living on a fixed income really enforces a budget. The floor replacement is a must because knee and back issues mandate having a resilient flooring instead of the tile that's currently there. The existing stove is being sold in "as is" condition and doesn't work properly. We're getting a credit at closing because of that, which is the reason we'll be able to upgrade to an induction range.

Holly-kay, I'd love that backsplash web page info when you are able to find it, thanks!

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
Help needed with this beam!!!
We had part of a wall taken down in the kitchen &...
mark_rachel
Sexist or Fun?
Trouble from young feminists over this billboard.
Joseph Corlett, LLC
Ordered my cabinets in rustic beech
What I am wondering is why all the kitchen magazines...
ryseryse_2004
Kohler Whitehaven Sink - 33 or 36"?
Does anyone have the 33" Whitehaven single bowl?...
Melissa Silva
Support for vintage double drainboard sink?
I'm planning my kitchen remodel now and have a question...
mccb1
Sponsored Products
Polaris Ceiling Fan with Light
Lightology
Blue Lil' Holster Trio
$19.99 | zulily
Winners Only Cape Cod 50 in. Desk with Optional Hutch & Chair - White - WIN134
$500.00 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs State of Honor Ivory 2 ft.
$41.97 | Home Depot
Area Rug: Imperial Tradition Mocha/Ivory 3' 11" x 5' 3"
$81.97 | Home Depot
Napa East Wine Barrel 28 Bottle Round Wine Rack - 1012
$750.00 | Hayneedle
Olde Bronze Pendant/Semi Flush 5-Light
PLFixtures
Uttermost Arroscia 39" High Decorative Mosaic Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™